URGENT - PLEASE HELP - What are these grubs

Fraser Coast, Australia

Please can somebody tell me what these grubs are? They are growing on my wattle tree so I do hope they are not borers, they seem to be just in the nests hanging on the tree, but I sprayed the lower ones yesterday with Carbaryl but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. On looking closer this morning, there hare dozens of them at the top of the tree, and some have fallen on the plants underneath, so I have picked them off and squashed them underfoot.. I guess I will get the tree cut down but how do I get the things killed out of the garden? I don;t want them eating my plants. I am an old girl now unable to climb ladders.

Thanks mates, I know someone will be able to tell me.

Thumbnail by Stiff_knees

Here they are ...hope that helps
http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_moths/LeafCaseMoth.htm

Fraser Coast, Australia

Thanks Chrissy, that is them exactly. Not borers thank goodness. I have a tree man coming to give me a quote to get rid of the trees, they just keep falling into my plants below, so I have been busy moving all the pots etc away - and already the blessed things were attaching themselves to pots and plants alike. A flapjack that I have potted up for a friend has a mark where one attached itself, so I think I will be drastic when he comes - but then they pests will attack orchids, broms anything they can get. I will read up and see how I can get rid of them now as I think they thrived on the carbaryl.

Fraser Coast, Australia

Everybody - I have won the fight against these pesky The Leaf Case Moth caterpillars.

I had the trees lopped of all their leaves, although some were almost stripped by the blessed things, and I cut my shrubs right back. The grubs seem to prefer the Australian native plants. My son sprayed everything remaining, including the mulch with Maldison, and drenched everything, The mongrels were even in the mulch. I spent the next days looking out for live ones and I just squashed them with my shoe. I went away for a few weeks and came back to find only a few dead ones.
A couple of trees I had cut out as they were getting too big, so I will plant a few more callistemons there to fill the gaps. Even though it has been so dry they are all shooting again,

I will be very vigilant in case there is a recurrence of the grubs.

Wonder of wonders, we had a shower of rain during the night and it is still very cloudy, not a lot but the first rain for 138 days and the weatherman says more expected today and tomorrow. I certainly hope and pray he is correct, as he has been promising this for days but we have had nothing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.