Orange caterpillars with black spikes

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Was away from home a couple of days and came back to find these orange caterpillars with black spikes had eaten all of the leaves off of my passifloras - grrrrrr! Anyone know what they are? I tried to look them up in the bug files but couldn't find them. Don't have a picture yet, will try to get one tomorrow.

Sarasota, FL

gulf frittilarys ? orange /black butterfly similiar to monarch.... eats up mine

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

That's them! little buggers!! Now I don't know what to do! This is my first year growing passis and I have been waiting to see some blooms. I really really want my plants but I hate to kill the caterpillars, I love the butterflies too. Man oh man!!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'd probably leave them alone--Passiflora is a host plant for that particular species of butterfly. If the plant is really small and is in danger of being completely defoliated, then I'd probably remove them but otherwise every time you look at the munched on leaves just remind yourself of the pretty butterfly that you're helping!

Sarasota, FL

they do seem to destroy very small starts but they always come back....never lost a plant to them

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Well we will see what happens. Have decided to leave them alone. Hopefully the passis will recover. Thanks for the info!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.