coleus cuttings size?

Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

what size cuttings should I send and what size should I expect to recieve when making a trade?

Thumbnail by trinawitch
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'd say this is about the average size:

(The leaves at the bottom are what was removed to make a good cutting.)

Thumbnail by pirl

ok then what I sent was more than adequate, what I received however is a different story...a little disappointed, but I'll live

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its all part of the learning curve here trina.

well the trade was for some trailing or swinging Linda, she threw some others in the mix as well cause she wanted 8 to 10 cuttings of the henna...I sent nice healthy 4 to 6" clippings, she sent basically just leaves, the swinging Linda did not survive the trip, cuttings were maybe an inch long and that's stretching it

so if any one has some trailing or swinging Linda I'm still looking for some

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Here are two trays of cuttings with an average of one more leaf than those shown above. This comes down to pain and simple choice. Anything between these two examples will be fine.

This year mine are in Oasis cubes. They should be well rooted in three or four weeks.

Thumbnail by docgipe

thanks doc I also want to make sure I wasn't giping anybody with my cuttings either. although the Henna here that I have seems to hold up very well to being mailed

Dale, please check the "ID" thread. These are the survivors of what you sent me, and I'm not getting any answers. Guess I shoulda put the pictures here.

Also, have you found a place to live? Gee, your wonderful greenhouse is no more. Life is a play.

ok the Newbie is going to ask a stupid question.....why did Dale shut down his greenhouse? Why is he moving?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

He was a tenant and the place went to the Bank ,landlord couldnt pay the mortgage.
It was a sad time for Dale.

oh I know that feeling all too well!!!...My last house I was buying CFD from someone, had been paying for 5 yrs. was almost done with the contract to pay it off when the bank repossed it because the owner wasn't paying the mortgage with my money, she was going to the riverboat with it!

Trina, that's absolutely horrid! So sorry for you!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

never heard of CFD

CFD Is Contract For Deed....no banks involved

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks I'll stay away from that one

actually it can be a good deal sometimes

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

These re the cuttings I have taken since Sep1
C:Documents and SettingsUserMy DocumentsColeus oct 10

I don't think that worked so well

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'll try to fix it.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

hope this works
http://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/MyDocuments02#

YEAAAAAA I had forgotten to down load after creating the album

This message was edited Oct 11, 2009 5:33 AM

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yeah JoAnn!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

EXCUSE ME!!! This a coleus thread. That's that #5 picture? HUMMMM? Looks prettier than a coleus, not to dis coleus, but..... What' the variety?

Good pixs of the babies. They should do well.

Good Morning all. BTW, what time do you get up ge? Your posts are always in the middle of the night.

Hap

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOL

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

You too, onewish!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I worked several hours yesterday planting cuttings. I have about 50 so far and many more to do but our weather is in the mid 80s so I have time. I have nothing on the schedule next week except for a manicure and pedicure on Friday so I should have it licked by then. This is my first year of taking cuttings. I looked over the different beds yesterday morning and all was well. I was out in the front landscape at 9:30am and all was well and I was only in the house for lunch for about 1/2 hour and a few potty breaks. I went to get some cuttings off my salmon colored coleus at 2:30pm, cannot remember name right now, and someone had totally ripped out the majority of the plant. Go figure. This plant was over two feet square and that is a lot of coleus. You take one large stalk and make 30 cuttings. What makes it worse is they trampled coleus by the one they yanked. I am in a guard gated community and my neighbor and I were flabbergasted. You know us gardeners, if you want something, just ask. We will give you more than you ask for.

Anyway, I have a question. Now that I have the cuttings in my garage, how do you water them. I will have close to 150 by the time I am done. Thanks in advance.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

sk, You think a neighbor trotted in and helpy-selfy? How rude. Don't people know us coleus addicts are always willing to share?

Hap

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I think it was probably one of mow and blow guys. My coleus knock your socks off this year and have put on a car stopping show. Some owner down the street probably complained they wanted some, not knowing they are ready to be made into cuttings and then be yanked. Saturday is a big day here in the community for the mow & blow guys. I especially like the "gardener" that does the landscape next door. He comes on Thursdays and I am usually in the front landscape on Thursdays. He just stares. I have tried speaking with him but he thinks he knows everything. Just another mow and blow guy that doesn't have a clue.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

LOL, mow and blow!!

Nice photos, Jo Ann. I spotted Felix and Peter Wonder!

Sharon, shame on the person who trampled/stole your coleus! As for watering, I prefer bottom watering only.

I loved the compliment our gardens received when a neighbor's worker from Guatemala came here to dig up daylilies. He looked at all the dahlias and coleus, spread his arms wide and said, "Guatemala!".

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

That what we call the landscape personnel in Vegas. They probably have the same thing in Phoenix. The come in with these blowers that are strong enough to move a car. They edge, mow and then blow everything into several large piles and haul away. My mow and blow guys are not allowed to blow. I put down a lot of expensive mulch and I expect it to stay where I put it. You would have to visit the Southwest then you would understand.

I don't allow blowing either, Sharon. I even abhor edging and would prefer to do it myself with scissors - not every bed every week!

My BIL was a NYC fireman back in the 50's and had a side job. He advertised himself as "Mow and Go". No raking (no blowers back then)!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have "Geezer insomnia" its a real condition and if we have a satalite view of our side of the world at 1-3 AM you can see many lighted houses where geezers are up reading.
I just GET up at around 4 or 5 thats it.
The noid coleus is "bentabby" nice growth and quiet habit.
Loves sun and feeds on "FancyFeast"will tollerate shade.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Arlene,

In NYC it should have been Moe & Go.hehe

Ha!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just what a girl needs.
My cat just walked across the seed starter tray with cuttings in it.
He is not the brightest bulb on the tree but ,love him anyway.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

LOL, ah, the trials of motherhood!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

hummmmph

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

The old grandmother often said the watch pot will never boil. I'm the same way with cuttings.

Today just ten days since I stuck the coleus cuttings shown above I have roots. I just had to peep. They could be potted up right now but another week will make it a sure bet to be a little better developed. Having found that they are stuck in the cubes I know they are rooted. I gave them a first very lite fish/kelp foliar fed tea yesterday. Today they are one shade brighter. Next weekend I will pot them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.