NoID Agastache

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I found this guy growing in a WS pot that was vacant.
I have no idea which one it is... and the smell of the leaves doesn't help much either.... as i can't put my finger of the scent.

3 images attached...

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Full view

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

blooms

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Candor, NC

Considering the plethora of spontaneous and named varieties in the market, with no provenance, the best anyone can do is guess which parent is dominant.

In your case, I'd say it has a lot of Agastache aurantiaca in it.

Eupora, MS

Looks kind of like neomexicana that I just saw in High Country Gardens!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>Agastache aurantiaca

OK -- now that does make sense .... I did attempt to grow some Apricot Sprite, but after I planted it, i left town for a long time and it did not survive... this could have been an arrant seed.

Thanks Rich.

Terese

Candor, NC

Agastache neomexicana has dense spikes with short white to lavender flowers. The presence of longer, orangy flowers indicates some A. aurantiaca.

Eupora, MS

I guess the colors were off in the pic...thanks for the clarification.

Candor, NC

The color in the second two pics is more of a rose, and the foliage is definitely not that much like aurantiaca.. The color shift could be caused by taking the picture either shortly after dawn or before sunset, when colors are distorted.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

It looks (from the pic) a bit like the flowers of Golden Jubilee ????/ Maybe ????

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Golden Jubilee has yellow foliage... i have that in other areas of the yard.

>>taking the picture either shortly after dawn or before sunset, when colors are distorted.

Rich -- i did take the photos later in the day... the afternoon sun is so harsh, it washes out the color.

I'll plant it and just watch it for next season.... Hopefully it's hardy in zone5

Terese

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm pretty sure the straight species A. aurantiaca won't be hardy in zone 5. Depending on what it's a hybrid with maybe it would make it but you might try to take some cuttings or collect some seeds from it in case it doesn't.

Candor, NC

Any of the non-species Agastaches on the market now will not come true from seed. There will be a distribution, with some looking a lot like the parents.

I think even a DNA analysis would not tease out the parentage. Few people have kept records, and many have propagated from seed, not knowing about the promiscuity of the genus.

With Agastache, you must propagate named species and hybrids vegetatively to keep the varietal name

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I was rummaging thru my seed basket this morning, and came across a baggie [from Tuinker] that said "Pink Pop"

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55400/

this may be it. and since it's only hardy to zone 6 or 7, if it does not produce seeds this year, i will try to bring it inside.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

very weird... i specifically recall 'solving' this yesterday...

anyhoo -- as i was going thru my notes from last seasons winter sowing, i did find my comments, which does solve this as Pink Pop. I also managed to get some seeds from it. So i will be trying again next season for more of these. Too bad more Salvias are not hardy in my zone... I may have to move somewhere warmer one day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.