Seldom seen

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

These pix aren't great because it was too early, and my camera is getting very tired, but I felt they needed to be shared. The weasel is seldom seen, let alone photographed, so I was very fortunate to get images of the Least Weasel down in the creek bed the other morning.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Isn't he (?) cute?

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

He is so cute. I want one^_^
Thanks for sharing.

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Hope it shows up again, but I won't hold my breath.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

They move really fast! Several of my images were little more than a streak of blur.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

I wanted to wipe that bit of straw away.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Lucky you and great pictures. She/He sure is a cutie. Thanks for sharing
Christine

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Love the face on it . Great capture.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I think all your pictures are great! I love to go out and do wildlife photography when I have time and I know how difficult it is to get good pictures of almost any critter. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Such a neat critter. How big is it? What a great experience, to see that.

Loudonville , OH(Zone 5b)

Interesting feet. Isn't that species of weasel on the endangered list?

Benton County, MO(Zone 5a)

You think maybe your weasel is this one? http://www.nhptv.org/NatureWorks/longtailedweasel.htm Looks more like it to me. Least Weasels have short tails and the Long Tailed Weasel has a long one with a black tip, like yours.

Great shots!!! :-)

This message was edited Sep 23, 2009 9:24 AM

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Perhaps I need to do more research, but this weasel is very tiny, the body length being probably less than 6 inches. All the sites I've been to already, (concerning the Least Weasel w/ photos) show and describe what I saw.

What ever, it was a wonderful and surprising sight!

This message was edited Oct 2, 2009 7:27 AM

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

OMG! I've got one in my neighborhood! I wouldn't have known what I was seeing if I had not read this thread the day before. I live in a densly populated, small mountain valley city, and at 4 am, was looking out the window to see what noisy thing was happening near my car when the very healthy looking little guy ran from the cars to the building right in front of me. I'm glad to see that they eat mice, as I have seen mice running around a couple of the area restaurants. (I won't be eating out for a looong while!)
I think it was a Siberian http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ouessant-digiscoping.fr/IMG/jpg/Putois_de_siberie_4B_29042008_-_Heuksan_Do_-_SK.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ouessant-digiscoping.fr/spip.php%3Farticle501&usg=__f0pn6inSAmHmzgUmuyB8rpzAepA=&h=657&w=850&sz=162&hl=en&start=23&sig2=HobA1D7ghdQvo8prY9pkYw&um=1&tbnid=FopNa5iO9041IM:&tbnh=112&tbnw=145&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSiberian%2Bweasel%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu%26rlz%3D1I7GFRD_en%26sa%3DN%26start%3D20%26um%3D1&ei=pLu-SoXfKIKQkAW26uFW
What neat little critters!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

How adorable! I really enjoyed all of the pics. How large is this creature? It looks about the size of a squirrel, but longer.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Mine was like a long, skinny squirrel - that's a good description! Not very big around at all, 2/3 the size of the cardboard tube from the paper towels or less. It ran across/down the street as fast and straight as an arrow and then it's tail popped up like an exclamation point as it stopped to look back toward my car and the person that scared it away from it's hunting. My overall impression was that it was very narrow-built, but for it's shoulders and hips, with a long skinny tail. It was just a bit darker than cardboard colored except for the face (and what a cute face it was!) It turned and jumped straight up into a 2 foot tall planter box and disappeared immediately.
Having just moved here from my rural home in the Ozark mountains, I am happy to see some wildlife in the neighborhood!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi June,

Thanks for the info. It must have been a great experience to see the little fella. We don't have them here (as far as I know), so I've never seen them before.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I have spent as much of my life outdoors as I possibly can and never saw one outside of a zoo. That Tigerlily got to see one in the wild like that and take pictures was a rare and special event.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

It reminds me so very much of the 2 Ferretts I had a few years ago. Not in color of course, but in the body shape and proportions!!

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Well done for getting any photos - a wonderful little creature!

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

tigerlily, How exciting to see such a wonderful creature - and you got great picts too! We have weasel-like mink on this side of the mountains, but they're not nearly as cute as your weasel. I was lucky to see weasels like yours a couple of times - one while hiking at Sentinel Dome in Yosemite, and a very curious pair while backpacking in the San Juan mtns of Colorado. Oh, they are just the cutest!! You'll have to let us know if you see yours again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.