Ylang - ylang tree!!

Virginia Beach, VA

after 2 attempts to grow them i finally have 2 healthy plants bu tI can not post pix because we are on vacation. Does anyone have this plant? These are 2 years old and they stand maybe 3 feet but so signs of flowers. i bought them on Ebay and were maybe 10 inch plant.They are doing very well and are outside right now and will be housed in the sun room by November. Any help will be appreciated.Thanks. Belle

I have one that bloomed for the first time this year. It is about 5 years old and 8 ft tall. I was told they need to reach that kind of maturity in order to bloom.
Sounds like you need some patience.

Virginia Beach, VA

My golly 5 years!!! i thank you for your reply. some of my my plumeria were budding when we left and can not wait to to take pix when i get home. Belle

Keaau, HI

Do you have Artabotrys hexapetalus which is a woody climber, or Cananga odorata which is a tree?

Both need to be mature before they produce flowers.

The Artabotrys will need support and trimming to train it into a bush. The Cananga will need to be trimmed to maintain it as a bush, so it does not get too large.

They will need large pots to mature in your area, and do best in full Sun.

Here is Artabotrys hexapetalus.

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Virginia Beach, VA

The picture you posted has fruits!! I did not know ylang ylang bear fruits. Mine is a tree and I wil post as soon as I get home. I thank for your answer. Belle

This message was edited Sep 19, 2009 4:32 PM

Keaau, HI

You're very welcome Belle! The two different Ylang-ylang plants are easily identifiable by their leaves.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

I have the Cananga too bellieg - mine has been in the ground for two years and nothing so far. Good to know that I don't have a dud! My tree is looking surprisingly healthy given my climate and my rather brown thumb.

Jenn

Keaau, HI

Hi Jenn!

Could you show your Cananga odorata.

I'll take a picture tomorrow morning.

Aloha. This is my Ylang-Ylang (Cananga odorata). As you can see it's still a baby...

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
Virginia Beach, VA

Mine tree looks like yours. I thank you for posting.Belle

This message was edited Sep 20, 2009 5:31 PM

Keaau, HI

Thanks Jenn! Nice tree!

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Nice tree, haven't heard of it before. there are so many plants i don't know!
Isaac

Keaau, HI

Hey Isaac, Ylang-ylang flowers have traditionally been used to make perfume oil. It is a carrier for other scents.

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Interesting, dave.

Virginia Beach, VA

We are home and so here is my ylang ylang tree. It is 2 years old, I bought it on ebay and it was started from seed according to the seller.

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

another picture. i have 2 plants and they get fed miracle grow.

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

When do I expect flowers on this 2 two year old? thank you, Belle

Peterborough, Canada

I was given an Ylang cutting 2 months ago that was about 8 inches tall. It is now about 3 feet tall. I'm growing it indoors because that's what the person who gave it to me is doing. I love this plant but I live in Ontario Canada near Toronto and I'm worried about keeping it alive over the winter. Any helpful hints?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.