My Ugandan Ferns

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

Here are photos of the ferns that I have found growing in Northern Uganda. Apart from this first one all are unidentified. So any help would be much appreciated!

This one is Davallia denticulata. I found it growing on a palm tree that was knocked down to make way for a wider road. see http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/856142/

Now it is doing very well.

Thumbnail by Mvule
Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

Here is common creeping fern that grows on many oil palms that are found here but also by the side of streams and other damp places.

Thumbnail by Mvule
Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

This is a young stagshorn fern. But I think is is commonly called a cabbage fern as its leaves are not divided

Thumbnail by Mvule
Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

I love the frond structure of this fern also found on an oil palm.

Thumbnail by Mvule
Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

Another fern from an oil palm.

Thumbnail by Mvule
Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

This fern I found growing on a big rock outcrop in the full sun. It has grown much bigger under cultivation.

Thumbnail by Mvule
Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

This maidenhair fern grew in the same place but has not done so well with cultivation. Though atleast it has not died!

Thumbnail by Mvule
Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

One last fern from the rock outcrop.

Thumbnail by Mvule
Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

These last two ferns I go from a trip into Southern Sudan we went high into the mountains on the border between Uganda and Sudan. Here is the photo of the trip near where I found the ferns growing on a bridge. Not what we think of as Sudan, the climate is cool and damp and very fertile.

Thumbnail by Mvule
Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

I am amazed they survived the two day trip back to Arua! I would have liked to explore more but I had just a few hours there

Thumbnail by Mvule
Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

This last one I was not sure if it was really a fern but it has black wirey roots. So I think it is even though I don't see any sori. I have just potted it up this week so I hope it takes.

Thumbnail by Mvule
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Lovely to see these plants from Africa!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I LOVE the look of these ferns. Very nice.

You're right. That's not what I think of when I hear about Sudan. Are you in the picture?

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Very nice pictures. Love all the pictures. In the last
one, is that rocks or soil that the plant is in. That is
a beautiful lush jungle. i'm curious like katie59, are you in
the picture?

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

Hey everyone thanks for your encouragement! Internet has been horrible out here so I am sorry abot the delay....

I planted the ferns in a mixure of brick dust and broken bricks and composed to try and get the free draining mixure that I found the ferns growing in.

Lastly, sorry I am not in the picture!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I love all the variety of your ferns and look forward to more pictures!

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

Thank you, I am hoping if I can make some time to go and explore these mountains abit as there could be lots more interesting plants. Maybe even tree ferns which is really what I want to try. The problem with living in these parts is that there are no nurseries from which to by stuff with out hge shipping costs.

These mountains are just becoming accessable as the LRA rebels are no longer there and the whole area is very underdeveloped.

You have to keep them watered very well to grow them in the brick dust ,
don't you. They are very beautiful ferns. I bet you fine lots ofplant life
in the jungle. Good luck.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Mvul, where are you originally from? What made you move to Arua? I don't want to completely derail the thread, but I'd love to hear more about you and what you are doing in your gardens?

And definitely be careful!

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

Hi there Ridesaredmule, thanks for the input. I struggle to get the balence between free draining and water retensive soil here especially as there is no potting compost that I can buy. But with a four month dry season just arround the corner I will definitly keep an eye on things.

Forest is quite rare here. Most of the area arround where I am is cultivated or at least grazed, as there is quite a high population density. The only forest you find are Eucalyptus which are planted for firewood and curing tobacco, the local cash crop. So that's why I was happy to find myself in the natural forests pictured.

Katie, I am John from England and I am married to Vikki from Spokane WA. I have been in Africa way too long but I love it out here! We have three kids (3, 5, and7) two of which were born in Uganda. Its a beautiful country and right now I can't imagine living anywhere else. We are Christian and work for YWAM with the churches, children and other disadvataged in Northern Uganda and Southern Sudan. You can check out Vikki's blog at www.alumpofclayinafrica.blogspot.com and for our work at www.ywamarua.blogspot.com

The work is challenging sometimes stressfull and very rewarding, but gardening provides a perfect relaxation for me, though I have to admit I get stressed watching over my seedling palms!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Seriously?! Tell Vikki from Spokane hello from someone in the Pacific Northwest. I'm actually from Alaska first, but am now fully planted in Washington State in the U.S.

It's good work you do. I'll check out Vikki's blog!!

That is very insprational work that you do for the folks
of Africa. I can see they are really glad that you have
come to help them. You are a true blessing.
Did they ever get their toilets built? I know it may be
silly question but it is a neccesary question.
Charleen

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Charleen - good pun (they used to call toilets "necessaries"). :-)

Sometimes ,we just have to say things, that we just know
has been said before. But it was too good to pass up.
But now wouldn't it be interesting to know what they did??
Charleen

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

I'm missing something here! what Toilets??

Vikki's in Nigeria right now looking forwards to her coming back next week :-)

Yeah!!! That's it, Where the John???
Have you got them built yet?? That is what I am
wondering about, especially if you are "drinking
from the river" YUK!!!Is there any way of filtering it so you may use it?
Charleen

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

Ok ok!

Actually I live in Arua town so we have piped water and live in a regular house, with running water and electricty most ofthe time. Up in the mountains we have to purify our water.

Oh, thank you. That is what I wanted to hear. Enjoyed your pic of
the community and your little girl is so cute.
You have power surges with your Electricity. That could be interesting.
But , at leat you have a few conveniences for your family.
Charleen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.