will double blooms always droop?

Moscow, PA(Zone 5b)

I am trying to decide between Snowflake and Snow Queen. I really like the erect pyramidal shape of Snow Queen and if I could have that with double blooms that would be even better.Does anyone know if Snowflake always droops or will it stand straight?

Moscow, PA(Zone 5b)

Should I also be looking at "Alice"? Is it similar or have any benefits or draw backs compaired to the other 2? I am zone 5b and read that "Alice" could take full sun in my zone.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I don't have the answers for you but will keep watch on the replies. They're all lovely. I would imagine with the weight of double blooms there will be some drooping but that's part of the charm. Alice should be stunning at 12' x 12'.

Though I do not have any Oakleaf types I do have Tardiva (photo) here, in almost full sun in zone 7, and it does very well. Some branches droop and others do not.

Limelight is a beauty and remains with the greenish hue in half shade.

It's early in the day but I'm sure I recall something about pruning effecting the strength of the stem and possibly the drooping vs. non-drooping. I don't know if that applies to Oakleaf type hydrangeas or all big ones. Maybe we'll get lucky and Luis or snapple will show up to help with your questions.

Thumbnail by pirl
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

The weight of the blooms is at the crux of the problem, sugarbell. The more weight the stems have to support, the more trouble you can expect. I had a single-bloomer Alice that drooped a little on windy days and more after it rained. I would expect the same or more with a double bloomer but it does look nice. I have been considering Snowflake and Harmony myself some time in the future.

To help support the weight and prevent drooping, I never pruned my oakleafs. As they grow older, the stems become stronger and were able to support the weight more gracefully.

Make sure the soil drains well too. I lost my oakleafs several years ago when we got about three/four months of heavy rains and they developed root rot due to the constantly wet soil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.