Keeping Pennisetum Rubra indoors this winter

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'd like to give it a try. Does anyone do it successfully? I have a very sunny but unheated sunroom/porch that the coleus, Mandevilla, tropical plants, zonal geraniums and other plants love.

Would I just water it on an infrequent basis?

Thanks.

Thumbnail by pirl
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Pirl,

Your plant is Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum'. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1491/

You should have no trouble wintering over under the conditions you describe.

I might advise you to water it from the bottom, but, most grasses are tolerant of cool damp conditions.

Ever try it from the seeds it produces? Most of my ornamental grasses reseed.

I have no idea what this plant is named (don't really care either). It looks good>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's answer to a similar question from another gardening site

" This lovely plant with its dark burgundy leaves and purple plumes is native to Africa and not hardy in Canada. It needs lots of sun and heat to perform its best. If you grow it in a container, you can try to bring it indoors for the winter. UBC Botanical Garden suggests you cut it back to about three inches, put it in a sunny window in a cool room and keep it moist but not soggy. Then put it back outside once all danger of frost is past. That said, I know gardeners who have tried this with only limited success. You're probably best to consider it an annual and buy new plants each year.

—Karen York, Botanical Editor "

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks Dale and Joanna. I haven't tried raising it from seed and just saw it recently in town, where I took the photo. Maybe I will try a packet of seeds before I spend $65.00 for five plants!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.