CLOSED: Wanted: Praying Mantis Egg Cases

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

I would really like to find several fresh praying mantis egg cases. If you have one (or more), and would be willing to trade-please let me know and we'll see what I have that you might like. Thank you!

This message was edited Oct 14, 2009 4:51 AM

Thumbnail by green76thumb
Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

others look like this (you'll need to click on it to see the entire case):

This message was edited Sep 18, 2009 3:05 AM

Thumbnail by green76thumb
Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

Can they survive without a mom tending them?

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh yeah. they sell them online. I have a suspicion that the mom tending them would consist of a big breakfast for her. : Do you have any experience with them?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Where should I look for them?

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

On bushes and trees, I guess.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

Here's my preying mantis story:
I just learned in 2007 what the cases look like.
I brought one home on an aster I bought at Home Depot.
It had a case AND a great big mom on it.
I left them alone to do their thing.
I never saw any babies come from it.
Then last year, I was clearing lots and lots of weeds from an overgrown garden for a friend.
I didn't notice the giant mantis when I put the weeds in the back of my truck, under the camoer shell.
I found her when I got home.
I moved her to a tree.
Next day, she was back in the truck and I moved her again.
Being the procrastinator that I am, the weeds were still in the back of the truck near the end of summer.
She was back in there, too, not looking all so healthy.
I surmised that she'd kept going back to her case even though it was hot as you-know in the back of the truck.
I was careful with her as I moved the weeds to the compost pile.
I never saw her again or any babies.

What DO they do, anyway?

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

hmm. I don't know a lot about their behavior, but they are fierce predators of just about anything that moves.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

That's a really neat recall, nilly.

green76thumb, I think I may have a PM egg case for you that's under one of the wooden arms of my wheelbarrow...if it's still there when it stops raining I'll post a pic.

Last month I bought a bunch of perennials and this gal was my 'bonus'. She literally jumped out of the backseat when I unloaded the plants and I carefully relocated her to my Cannas.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

That would be great FOTV. (Isn't this rain great too?)

You bet it was, especially after a dry month. Looks like we're "neighbors" in the greater scheme of things...lol

Is this one?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Love how she is looking at the camera.

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

It looks like it to me. And, looking at her abdomen, I'd say the picture of her was taken before you found the egg case?

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

FruitOfTheVine - thanks for liking the recall. I felt just horrid though, as I felt I'd caused her a lot of pain by taking so long to move the weeds.

Does anyone know if my guess was right that she stayed to tend her case? If so, it'll certainly change my behavior in the future!

Don't know if that's the big girl's casing or not. Ya'll she was at least 4" long, I'm not kidding, the biggest I've ever seen. That could be her casing since my wheelbarrow was parked in front of the Cannas for several days after I turned her lose. Bummer, I didn't know it'll wreck the casing if I try to remove it from the handle. And no you can't have my wheelbarrow...lol

Maybe I'll be able to spot another casing.....look who else I found Saturday between rains.

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

awww . . . how cute!

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

I thought you all might be interested in seeing this video.

Praying Mantis egg case hatching out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJoNzO0iNVQ

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

Pretty wild, huh?

Cool critters!
Was anyone able to send you cases?

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

no

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

It may bee early for cases, I have only seen fat females so far.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

I usually run into one or two during a season, I'll keep an eye out for you - it's cold here already, though. Might be awhile!

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

thanks!

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

No prob.
I put you in my trade tracker for it so I don't forget!

How bout that first frost we had in VA last night? At least here.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

It sucked!

I was NOT ready! Had dragged some things into the basement but couldn't fit everything that needed protecting.... Several things seem to have survived it, though.

I've been behind since Spring!

Glad to have a few days here to try to catch up before the deep freeze comes to stay!.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

How do you get them to stay in your garden..... do they like jap beetles???? LOL

I would love to have them in my garden, does anyone have a link to where you can purchase them from?

thanks

Janet

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

We had a freeze here.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Did you ever get any egg cases? I found several walking thru the fields the other day. I could send you a few it you like.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I don't know what to do with them to keep them alive during our terrible winter here?

Janet

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

They survive several freezes here but Im not sure about a Zone 5 winter. Do you have them in the wild there?

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

They are natural in zone 5. I've never tried to collect, winter, and hatch, but I find them often in summer.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I found a neat thread on GW. about colder climate Mantis.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/teach/msg101447269791.html

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

Wonderful!

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

I went walking today, looking for a case, and didn't see a thing. I used to see them all the time...now that I want one, I can't find one..lol..It's getting too cold here to trade plants.
Dee

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

No, I never did get any Heavinscent. I'll cover postage if you'll send me a couple or three. : )

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

If your in the exchange Ill get them out to you in the next day or so.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I would love to have a few if you find more Heavinscent. I am 9b so would not be too big of a shock.

Nilly do you see swarms of lady bugs in the spring? I have tried to get my brother to vacuum up some and send me but that is not his thing. They do some veg. But I love everything in the garden except poison snakes and don't like spiders. I did see my first Grandaddy long legs last week since I moved to Texas 30 yrs ago. It was good to see him.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

Some years I see a lot of lady bugs and some years none! I'm working on getting some houses where they can breed, but will have to make my own so haven't gotten very far so far!

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I know this thread has been inactive for several months, but I wanted to let everyone know I ordered a mantis egg case from Clean Air Gardening this year and the babies just hatched yesterday! So exciting to see them running around everywhere.

Here's the link to the case they sell:
http://www.cleanairgardening.com/praying-mantis.html

I tied the case to the stem of a large potted plant outside. Took about six weeks for it to get warm enough for them to hatch. I spent most of yesterday evening separating them, since they will eat each other if given the chance and nothing else on the menu!

Fascinating creatures. I hope some of them stick around the yard through their maturity so I can see them. I don't use pesticides, so there should be plenty of bugs for them to munch on.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.