What Wrong?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi from Florida.

My lobster claw is not doing well, the flowers that is, and was looking for some advise. The leaves are fine and another one, different variety 30' away, are fine. It has been there for about three years and this is the first time I've seen this happen.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hap

(Are you here ginger?)

This message was edited Sep 17, 2009 10:50 AM

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

The clump.

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Happy, it looks for all the world like an old flower! Did you see it from beginning to end?
If it is only newly opened and has turned soft and brown, I would suggest fungi or bacteria.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi weed-woman,

See the first pix? I believe that it's how it's starts. There is not on good blossom in the clump. That's what scares me. Natural dying of the flowers there would be one or two coming out. When I inspected when taking the pictures, there wasn't ONE good one. When it gets light, I will go out again today.

If it is a fungus or bacteria, what then?

Hap

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Perhaps cut the affected plants to the ground (they only flower once per stalk anyway) and see if you can find a remedy for fungi or bacteria in plants (nursery or horticultural supplies) then apply in late spring to summer, when flower is beginning, or as directed on the label.
Maybe you could take the flower to a nursery for a diagnosis? You don't get frosts do you?
Sue

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sue,

Last winter we had a 'chill' where is got down to about 38. The other heliaconia got some burned leaves, but not this one.

I will cut them. Ouch, Ouch!!!

Don't do this well.

Hap

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Yeah, well it wouldn't have been cold there while the flowers were out, so we can probably rule that out. Just cut back the flower stems, and maybe give a light fertilise with some pottasium based fertiliser. There is a heliconia grower lady on our forums, but I haven't seen her around lately. With any luck she will see this thread and drop in with some good advice.
Be brave Hap! he he

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.