Making a greenhouse out of old house

Pueblo, CO

Hello,

I bought my next door neighbor's house very inexpensively. It appraised low because it's old and small not in good shape. I bought it because I wanted the lot for gardening.

Has anyone ever tried to turn a house into a greenhouse? I guess one could put in lots of windows and sky lights. I'm not sure if this makes sense.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

A friend put used (cheap) double pane patio doors all around an old house. He didn't use it for a greenhouse, but more for a big screen house for company. I think it would be fun to try, go for it! I live near the Missouri Botanical Gardens, and they have several sunny buildings that are climate controlled used for tropical plants, so I guess it would depend on what you want to grow.

Pueblo, CO

Great idea! Glad to know someone has done it already. Right now I'm just hoping to extend the season here in Colorado by a few months. But maybe someday I'll go tropical...

If I remember correctly, he took out all non-load bearing walls, and used pillars to support the bearing walls so it was almost totally open on the inside. He kept the kitchen all on one wall, and kept the bathroom, too. Then he built a covered walkway out to it and grew roses up the trellises on each side. It was lovely. Painted all of the exterior to match his house, light blue and white, very crisp. It didn't have a basement so he didn't have to worry about stairs. Tiled the entire floor to match. I think it had a small fireplace on one end wall. Unfortunately, the area was bought out for airport expansion and it is gone now.

Pueblo, CO

These are great ideas! Fantastic! Covered walkway, tiled floor, take out interior walls...

I'm sorry it's gone - I'd have liked to have seen it.

It was a great place to have lots of company, even in the summer when it is hot here, no bugs. I just remembered, several ceiling fans, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.