YAKKETY YAK....Gypsies talk back....and forth

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Welcome All. At least we are taking longer than a single day to fill a thread.....GRIN

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

true moon very true

I worked at my friend's nursery today...had to take pics of the Cajun Hibiscus in bloom.This is a new one, and of course I left the name on the bench....duh.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

This one is WILD AT HEART

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

This one is called CREOLE LADY

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

Another I don't recall the name for.....

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

drooling love the hibs. pretty

Delhi, LA

Pretty Hibiscus. Never seen any like those. Must be new.

I guess 2/5's is better than nothing....grin Of course I don't recall this one either....if it ain't written down there is only a chance I'll remember.....

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

Hi Jim, Hi Rie....Rie, how are ya feeling?

Jim, the three without names are new releases for this year.....of course when you have a mind like a rusty steel trap, things slip away......grin I'll have to get the names

ok Nyquil kicking in night everybody

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

my chest is better but swear my sinuses are gonna kill me yet. making my teeth hurt and eyes hurt.

think my nose hates me. hehe

drinking hot tea then off to bed. hopefully this will be gone soon.

got out humidifier today and bought some vicks. so hopefully i can get rid of this.

those are so pretty. love that orange

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

night trina yes nyquil is a wonderful friend.

imzadi i didn't forget about your plant...waiting for the seed pods o the double yellow so I can send you some of those too

that it is!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

thats fine know you sick too. no worrie off to take my nyquil. hugs

Good Night Ladies....good night ladies.....okay, song's over.....feel better soon.....rest well.

Keaau, HI

Wouldn't eat any Mushrooms without a positive ID. Do the people who gave them to you know what they are?

Many are edible; many are poisonous. There are some species of Mushrooms that are normally safe, but if they are sauteed with wine, or if you drink beer or wine (alcoholic drinks) with them you'll get sick.

No Mushrooms should ever be eaten raw, as their proteins are not easily digestible.

If the Mushrooms are edible, they'll be great with pasta and vegetables; saute them with garlic, olive oil, onions, and peppers (and a bit of sea salt)!

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

Some Mushrooms are safe to eat, but taste awful; and some taste good but can kill you.

Some Mushrooms such as Puffballs are edible when young, but not when they mature. Some Puffballs are not edible at all.

The toxins in Mushrooms vary from giving you a stomach ache, to making your whole body hurt, to making you hallucinate and become delirious, to even killing you. Some Mushrooms make seem like they were okay to eat after ingesting them, only to find that they make you sick a day later.

There are fungi that have the potential to cure cancer (Reishi Mushrooms).

There are fungi that produce protein 10 times faster than a cow (plasmodial slime molds) and could be the answer to world hunger.

There are fungi that can kill with one bite (Death Cap Amanita).

Proper ID is very important!

The photos are Rhodocollybia laulaha. A rare Mushroom found only in old growth Hawaiian rainforests.
Researchers aren't sure if they are safe to eat or not yet!

(Zone 5b)

wow Dave they sure are cool looking....look like they belong in a fairy garden...
Jim, sorry I missed you last night! You too Imzadi & Moon.
What's the top picture Moon?

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

Good Morning Lynnie. So we are the early birds od the bunch. I was wondering the same thing-what the topic picture was.

Good mushroom info Dave. They scare me. I stick to store-bought mushrooms. There was a guy here in our area that died a couple years ago from a mushroom. The sad thing is (I know I'm going to spell this wrong..) he claimed to be a mushroom afficionado.

Keaau, HI

Hi Lynnie!

Menehune are the legendary Hawaiian equivalent to the Leprechaun. I guess they would be watching over the Hawaiian forest!

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

Moon, I especially like the CREOLE LADY hibiscus. Is that yours, or your friends?

Keaau, HI

Good night everybody.

Woodhull, IL(Zone 5a)

Morning,
Boy you guys get up early.

Thanks Dave for the mushroom info. The guy who had the mushrooms originally supossedly sells them every year. But I personally do not know him, we got them from someone I would trust . That said my DH is the only one around here that eats mushrooms ( not bought frozen and breaded) and he says he has never seen these before so he isn't eating them.

Moon great hibiscus. I have 2 lunar reds and 2 pink blush I have to plant today.
But where I want to plamt them I know DH will mow over in spring, or the guy who plows neighbors driveway will pile a ton of snow on them. For some reason he thinks the empty spot in my yard is there for him to make a snopile.

Woodhull, IL(Zone 5a)

Done some checking the mushrooms are called Hens of the woods.
Still not eating them.
Later all Have a Great Day

(Cathy), MO

Good morning everyone.

(Cathy), MO

Lots of people eat Hen of the Woods here jjs.

Woodhull, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Cat, How have you been?
I don't eat the morells either. DH does but didn't know much about these. they were given to him.

Never had seen these before.

(Cathy), MO

Morels are the best! My son goes mushroom hunting every spring and we freeze a bunch. Think I'm going to try to dry some this next year.

I'm keeping my head above the water, how about you?

Woodhull, IL(Zone 5a)

Doing fine.
Need to go out and find some place to plant these plants I couldn't resist buying. DH says its already and obstacle course to mow. :)

DH hunts morels every spring too. Didn't do very well this year.

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

I heard a story once on NPR about how they hunt the truffles in France. Very interesting!

Good morning all. Beautiful pic's of your hibby's Jean. Imzadi and Trina hope you both feel alot better today. Cat, so very good to see you here. Dave, tremendous information concerning mushroom's you added and have a sweet dream!

Hope all have a great day. It's a beautiful sunny morning here thus far.

Glenview, IL

Good Morning Gypsies!!

OMG, got lost in a project...
For all who are not feeling well, glad your getting rest and taking Nyquil.
Good stuff, I used it only once this bout. found it very helpful.

Moon, Wow!! Your Hibicus, are incredible, some real beauties.

Loved the Castle story.

Metro, HI is so beautiful, once day I am going to make a point to visit.
Wow, thank you for telling us about the Mushrooms...Uhg, I have some growing in my yard...how would one get rid of them.
Will take a picture of the ones on my tree, although i almost want to create a fairy door under them!

Rachel, OMG, you have me blushing, That was such a nice thing to say...I have to admit, I am a pretty, fun loving gal.
learned to enjoy life very young to survive...Now I am a very happy lady, life is very good to me. Thank you, Had an excellent ride the other night.

OK, so I am lost in this project, joined the tote bag swap and stopped thinking about how to go about it and took the plunge, lol.
got to admit, i just as pleased as punch, it's looking just like I envisioned it, yahooand yippee, big happy smile here!

There is so much I wanted to say but, my gosh...would be at it all day so, Just know I am still enjoying all your chatter and trying to keep up with dance here...whew, you move quick as lightening.

OH, Dave, I gotta tell ya, I looked at that hen? for quite some time thinking it was a giant mushroom!! ROFLOL, thinking, man that is One heck of shroom, finally notice it's claws!! LOL, so glad i didn't post on it being a Mega shroom!

Enjoy the day all, feel better.

Glenview, IL

P.S. Waiing Hi Cat!!

Kasey, Looked you up on the WI map yesterday!
We have a cottage in Montello Wi!

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

anyone know when the best time to prune a smoke bush is? I surfed around, but there's too much info.

Leicester, NC(Zone 8a)

Hi Smileymom, I have one and don't cut it back. Its been in the ground for about three years and has grown into a nice tree in my front yard. I love the way it changes over the seasons.

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes, I love them too. A coworker has one and it's lopsided because a huge branch got lopped off during the ice storm a couple years ago. I've seen it, it's really nice, but misshapen. He thought he would trim it, but someone told him if he does, he'll kill it.

Leicester, NC(Zone 8a)

I think they are pretty hardy after they get established. Neighbor had one years ago and all the kids climbed it broke limbs but it didn't die. May need to google it and see what is suggested but like most trees when the sap is down in the fall is the best time to prune.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.