Rion Greenhouse ??? does anyone have one ???

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Am thinking of buying a Rion Greenhouse and am looking for feedback. I am looking at the 6x8 size (Greenline model). I am also considering one from Home Depot (Palmar brand). Am open to any suggestions ....

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I love my Rion, 8x8, shop around for prices (& tax and shipping), they vary from place to place.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

There's an older thread here with lots of talk and tips about Rions "Thinking about a Rion". I hope this link works. If not, it should appear at the bottom of page 1 or top of page 2 in the GH forum.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/934129/

Mega Greenhouse Supply sometimes has specials on Rions where they offer extra stuff ie. extra window vents, shade cloth, automatic openers, etc.

Also the US Rion reps are very helpful and carry replacement parts as small as door hinges. I will have to search my records for their website address. It's important to know that you can get spare parts for your GH. I'm not familiar with the Palmer brand GH.

Rions are great for the price.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Are the windows single or double pane on the Palram?

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

After reading some of the reviews, it sounds like they are single and rather flimsy. Click on the reviews tab and read some of the remarks from people that bought this greenhouse. There is both positive and negative.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

I have a Rion 6x8 silverline with the single-layer polycarbonate panels. It's rather pretty when lit up at night and it will do what I need it to do in the winter in terms of sheltering some of my plants I cannot bring indoors. But our winters here aren't as cold as your's, so if you're looking to do some serious greenhousing requiring heat in the winter, etc., you might want to look to a double-wall set-up that will retain heat better (and save you on energy usage later!).

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I've had mine for 4.5 years now. They are great for starting seeds and cuttings, sprouting bulbs, extending the season, etc. I wouldn't recommend them for overwinter plants in your zone. I imagine you could better insulate or cover the whole thing with a second layer of plastic. Otherwise, there are lots of gaps and in zone 6, they don't hold heat well. Mine are 8x12 which is too big for those small heaters and too small for a serious heater.

I'm not thrilled with the roof vents either. When there is a pop up storm, it's not always easy to get them closed. I've had two get ripped off of one of the GHs. When we had the "hurricane" winds (yeah, in Ohio LOL) last summer, the doors actually shook free and opened, slamming the door into the frame and cracking two pieces badly and also ripped off some of the louver window slats.

They did improve the door structure 2-3 years ago and it works better than the old design.

All in all, Rion has been really good about replacing parts (even sent me a second greenhouse). I didn't call them about the broken roof vents or louvers. I have not decided what to do with the greenhouses-leave them as they are and replace parts or make one greenhouse and see what I can salvage.

Good luck on your decision!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.