What to do?

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

We had to have new field lines put in this summer (the lines that run from the septic through the back yard). I had to dig up most of my iris because there was standing water, lots of bugs... I have quite a few things potted, that never made it into the ground, like hydrangeas, salvia, lantana, verbena and coneflower. Should I wait until it cools off a little more to get them in the ground or???
I still have the iris to replant. I am thinking about potting them up. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Susan
(a big mess, my yard will never be the same :(``````` )

Thumbnail by Raggedyann

This is kinda what it looks like now, except more beautiful red clay! LOL
When we moved here, there was an above the ground pool. We took that out and planted a little bit of everything in it's place. ;(

Thumbnail by Raggedyann
Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

I would plant now. It is already cooling off some - really just 8 or 10 weeks till frost. I'm not digging things up yet, but if they were already out of the ground, I'd get them back in.

That's my 2 cents. Good luck!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Might want to till in some organic material before you plant. Just a thought. I would re plant now.

The man that brought the dumptruck load of rocks said he could bring a load of dirt ;) I know it will be a lot of work to get it back to the way it was. I need the exercise though. lol Before, the area had a bit of sand from when the pool was here. Anything would grow... I threatened to plant beans and pumpkins or a bunch of cactus ;)
Don't you just love red Ga clay?

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Maybe you could plant them temporarily in a small area. Then, this fall/winter, collect your neighbor's bagged leaves (or are they vacuuming them up in Gwinnett?) and pile them up in the area. Shred some of the leaves for best 'rotting.' It will help the soil and it's free!! We've done this for years. If you don't have too many critters such as raccoons and possums, you could also try hole or trench composting in the area you want to improve.

That's what I was thinking Cedar, if it will stop raining long enough! lol I can ask all my neighbors to save their leaves for me. The hole/trench composting sounds like a great idea too. Thanks for your help!!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Rain?? You're getting rain???? LOL.... 3.5 inches here in 2 days so far... I am loving every drop of it...

If you have access to grass clippings, newspaper and leaves etc, you could cover the whole area similar to a lasagna bed to help ammend it for spring...A mulching lawnmower with a bag on it will shred leaves for you...Just run over them, and dump the bag on the bed...Believe it or not, this GA red clay is very fertile stuff...

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

We got 7 inches yesterday!!!!

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Yikes. Ours is welcome but more "reasonable" in that we got 1 3/10" in 3 days - a nice slow soaking.

Still we have plenty of fungus friends. You must be in mushroom heaven EF!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

more like mosquito H''' LOL but I hate spraying. We need a good wind to blow them out of here!!! Looks like more is on the way.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Since Monday, we have had a total of 8 inches as of this morning. 2.32 inches yesterday. And its drizzling again and supposed to continue... I haven't let the chickens out all week. The run has at least 3 inches of mud. My tomatoes are all cracked and inedible. Peppers are doing good though.

RaggedyAnn, how is your yard doing with all this rain. Is it washing a lot? Maybe you could plant a cover crop like clover or alfalfa or something to keep the dirt in place.

The schools are closed here today. Alot of flooding and roads closed. I don't hear the kids complaining! ;) I plan to get out there and pot up some of the iris. I have been too afraid to go walking through that area of the yard, looks like quicksand! LOL
I was thinking about alfalfa beclu. I would never purposely plant clover, bunnies love it and my cats eat bunnies :(

We have, just since midnight, 4.25 inches, and it is still pouring here...
I have 2 ponds in the front yard...We need it, but not all at once... LOL

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

It was 7 inches so far for us since last Monday - but that was hours ago and it's been raining most of that time. I'm glad we live on a ridge and the creek is probably 100 ft below us, elevation--wise. We did walk down to see it this morning and it was a sight. But safely far away.

Rain like this does not do good things for our dirt roads, though.

I guess it's be careful what you wish for, huh?

Yeah I think so Cedar....I am less than 1/2 mile from the Etowah river, but up on a rise too so I'm not too worried about the flooding, but sad to see where some people are dead, including that 2 yr old baby...and many are now flooded out, and worse....We are over 5 inches so far today...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.