Mince Pie for Dimitri

My Friend! and all my other friends

Now I've had debates about this one, meat was once used in the mixture and some shop bought stuff still has meat in it. Its a very old dish and may go back to the medieval times where they ate everything to hand. This one doesn't have meat in it but if you insist you can add a little beef or lamb if you like LOL.

Most people think its so difficult but its one of the quickest recipes I know.

Mincemeat

2.5lbs - Dried fruit (any mixes of fruit, raisin, sultanas, pears, apricots, plums, cranberries etc chopped up small to sultana size)
Handful - Glace cherries chopped (optional, I usually eat them and have to buy two pots)
Handful - Chopped plain nuts (optional, I eat these too and rarely use them in the mix)
2 lbs - Eating apples (diced into tiny cubes, peeled and cored first!)
Zest and juice - 2 oranges
Zest and juice - 1 Lemon or lime or both
12 ounce - Suet (you can use a veggie one but I prefer the beef one)
1 tbsp - Cinnamon
6 tbsp - Brandy or anything alcoholic even fruit liqueurs (optional, if not using then fruit juice can be in place of alcohol)
1 tbsp - Grated Nutmeg
3 tbsp - Ginger, crystalized or powdered
14 ounce - light brown sugar

The important bit is that everything is chopped up very small and you have a good mixture of fruits.

Mix the whole lot in a bowl and leave for a couple of hours.

If the mixture is still dry once the dried fruit has swelled, add some fruit juice. It shouldn't be a wet mixture but it should be very sticky.

Store in a sterile jar and seal like you would jam. This will keep for around 35 days and is best used at the 28-32 day stage.

The best thing about mincemeat is that its such an old recipe you can use anything you like as long as there is a good mix there.

Now as for pastry, Baa has a special recipe which involves weighing by eye and therefore too difficult to describe. I use anything that is in the cupboard at the time which might be useful in a pastry.

Pastry

If you insist on making your own pastry then heres a recipe but for those who find pastry difficult (I know you're out there!) buy a made up packet and add water.

Use any pastry but this is rich shortcrust.

14 ounce - plain flour
1/4 tsp - salt
2 tbsp - Sugar (caster)
7 ounce - Butter (diced for ease)
Cold water or milk to bind (I use milk all the time but its your own preference)
2 - Egg yolks

Make sure your hands are cold, hot hands make bad pastry.

Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl then add salt and all the pieces of fat.

Rub the fat into the flour and salt until they make a fine breadcrumb texture. *Tip* - While doing this lift your hands out as high as possible so the mixture has air in it, it turns out better this way, honest)

Add the sugar and use a little water/milk and beaten egg yolk at a time working it into the mixture untill you get a crumby stiff mix. Take out and knead on a cold, floured surface until smooth.

Cut mixture in half and roll out to required sandwich tin size. Let the pastry stay thick or its a nightmare trying to pave over the cracks.

Can be wrapped in film and put in the fridge for upto 3 days.

Grease sandwich tin (or those little fairy cake tins for individual pies) and cover the base with one of the rolled out pastries.

Spread mincemeat thickly over the pastry up to the level of the pan.

Cover over with the other half of the rolled out pastry and press the edges together.

Prick the top with a fork at least 3 times (for luck as well as letting stem out).

Place in a preheated oven on a medium temperature and cook until the pastry is golden brown. Usually takes 15-20 minutes.

Cool pie and store (can be frozen)

Sprinkle over with icing sugar, grated cinnamon and nutmeg just before you serve. Best served warm but can be eaten cold. Don't forget the custard!

Warning, do not serve hot unless you want your guests to have burnt tongues ;)

Christmas pudding coming soon unless someone beats me to it LOL

Dimitri I'm intrigued by your melomacarono recipe, please let me in on the secret, or do I have to do the pudding first LOL. I'll make your recipe this Christmas and see if I can start a craze for it in Britain :)

Baa

This thread has 9 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!