Orchid ID

Alstonville, Australia

I have two orchids flowering and am wondering if someone out there can name them for me please.
Hel
Orchid no. 1

Thumbnail by hel
Alstonville, Australia

Orchid no. 2

Thumbnail by hel
Merino, Australia

Hello hel. I was just on eBay looking at orchids and I saw some very like yours. They were
soft cane dendrobiums but I have no idea of any cultivar names.
Jean

Alstonville, Australia

Thanks Jean, I'm sure someone will come up with their names sooner or later.
Hel, Alstonville NSW

Thumbnail by hel
Gisborne, New Zealand

Try looking under dendrobium nobile. It may help..

Alstonville, Australia

Thanks for your reply will look it up

Thumbnail by hel
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Hel, I have a soft cane dendrobium out now too, but different to yours. Its the only one I have a name for.
I have two others, and one has a flower similar to your second one, but alas, no name!
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Alstonville, Australia

Hi Sue, thanks for trying I will try and look it up myself.
Very dry here in Alstonville, Ballina & Lismore, trying hard to rain at the moment, hope it doesn't stop
just yet. How is it down at Coffs? What does it involve doing a horticultural course?
Hel

Thumbnail by hel
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Hel, its been dry here for a couple of months. I think we had 2 overnight showers in that time, with 2mm each time! Today it has been sprinkling on and off, and its very overcast. I emptied the guage this morning and only got 2mm, but unsure what fell today.
Cert 2 in horticulture required one day a week at Tafe. I did the nursery stream, as landscape was more for blokes who want to do paving e.t.c. and nursery is for propagation, display, indoor, plant selection, pests, disease e.t.c. I found it very good, and thought I learned alot more in cert 2 than 3. Cert 3 kind of goes into more detail and theres quite a bit of written assignments. I think you also have to do work experience, but I'm not sure because I'm already working in the industry. Its worth a go though Hel! You also meet people and make contacts in the nursery and gardening industry while at it.
I meant to comment on your Hiipy in the flowering thread. It is an unusual one isn't it? I remember buying a different one last year, but I planted it with the others, and I can't remember which one it is untill it blooms.
Sue

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I just realised the times were out on my postings, so had to go back and set them in my info. Doh!

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Here, here Sue! Great advice to Hel.

The way TAFE is streamed these days, it is at your own pace... Building blocks.

My guys are doing Cert 1 this year. Very much an introduction. Just 2 hours one afternoon a week for a year. For them it is a great challenge.

It is a long time since I studied/taught, however my greatest memory has not been the "Horticulture", but the people I studied and worked with. Many wonderful friendships 20 years on!

I am finding here in Dave's forum a similar connection. Love being here and "meeting" lots of new folks with a passion for plants! :)

Back to soft cane Dendrobiums...
They are great and largely easy plants to grow. We have a few here surviving on air! I do not know their names. So not much help Hel.

Alstonville, Australia

Hi Sue & Wayne, thanks for the info much appreciated. I guess you are all getting this dust.
We didn't get it here till 9.30 am. Poor buggers on our roof installing solar panels, they are wearing masks.

Thumbnail by hel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.