I need quick answers

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

I had a huge tree taken out of the backyard.Its enclosed with a chain link fence.The dead end street to the west ends at my fence.Without the tree there I am affraid someone will drive thru the fence now.So I am planting a hedge row of Emerald green arborvitaes along the fence on the inside of the yard. I have 17 of them.

My question is this.

Should I plant them in a straight row or stagger them zigzag style. either way they will be spaced to get a complete screen in a couple of seasons.

The rest of the yard is going to be a dwarf conifer garden and shrub collection.

Kyle :-)

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

It has been my experience that arborvitae are slow growers, however, do not require a lot of care. I would not plant them in a row of "soldiers", rather stagger them to provide air flow.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Planting in rows is awkward to my eyes, you always end up with a plant dying, leave a 'hole' in the hedge.

Planting in random groups gives a 'natural' look to the area.

But, with the right kind of plant even the soldier effect can look good>

This message was edited Sep 14, 2009 7:17 AM

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Nice Dale, your "soldiers" do have their own "guards", the effect is very pretty.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

I asked a few people at work too. Everyone seems to agree with the staggered row.So tomorrow night, thats the way they go in.This variety gets about 12-15 ft tall here and about 4 ft wide, so I will space them to just touch in a few years.

Thanks to those that responded.

Danville, IN

They will take about 8 years to get about 4' wide. They can be planted 4 feet apart, or a little closer if you want faster privacy.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the info HGreen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.