Tomatoes

Worcester, MA

I HAVE SOME GIANT YELLOW STRIPEY TOMATOES THAT ARE STILL GREEN. IS THERE ANY CHANCE THEY WILL RIPEN ON THE VINE, AND IF NOT, ANY IDEA ON HOW TO RIPEN THEM. I'D HATE TO LOSE THEM. ALSO HAVE BLACK CRIM AND VARIOUS CHERRY TOMATOES. PLEASE NO FIRED GREEN TOMATO RECIPIES!!! I LIVE IN CENTRAL MASS.

THANKS.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I've had good luck ripening tomatoes on a sunny window sill. Hope they ripen on the vine first.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I second what jumper said.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Yup, me too. it got down to 38 here and so I brought some in. Put them on the window sill and they were ripe in a day or 2.
Good luck!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Try placing them in a paper bag with a ripe apple. The apple gives off a gas that hastens ripening.

Worcester, MA

Thanks, I 've heard of both methods. How late can you keep the plants outside? Till frost? Do cherry tomatoes riipen well inside?

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

You can stretch the season by draping old linen over the plants when frost is expected. Don't let the tomatoes get frosted or they turn to mush.
Andy P

South Hamilton, MA

Predicting 50s in the Worcester hills. I would start bringing them in. You get frost before we do in Essex county.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

There is an old adage about predicting frost.
"Expect frost if it's clear and calm and the temp is 42 at sunset." I don't think that's in the forecast yet.

Worcester, MA

Good to know. Thanks again to the experts.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I've ripened cherry toms in the window.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have some there right now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.