CLOSED: Help ID Caterpillar!

Holbrook, AZ

Can someone ID these caterpillars? They are in northern New Mexico. I'd greatly appreciate the help!

Obviously this is a challenge! There must be someone who can ID these guys! The plant is a goji bush.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2009 9:07 AM

Thumbnail by RebloominRose
Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

RebloomingRose, you may get an ID here, but you really should post your picture on the Insect and Spider Forum. There are some very knowledgeable folk there than can surely help you get a positive ID on your caterpillars.

Holbrook, AZ

Thanks, moonhowl! I hope someone does recognize them!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

this is the insect ID forum or my computer has gone haywire lol

This post was copied from Beginner Gardening Forum.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

ROFL!!!!!!!!! Sorry didn't know

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

RBRose what is the plant they are eating on??

That's okay Donna, confused me when I read it here too....grin had to jump around to check...thought I was having a VERY senior moment...LOL

Holbrook, AZ

DonnaB, wolfberry, Lycium.

Rose

This message was edited Sep 20, 2009 9:27 AM

Holbrook, AZ

No, it was the new kid with the senior moment!

Rose

But we still don't know the name of your caterpillar...grin

Holbrook, AZ

I'm starting to wonder if they came over with the wolfberry. I told my friend that she should use a native Lycium!

Rose

bumpand bump again for ID

This message was edited Sep 24, 2009 7:17 AM

Rose, I thought someone would have given you an ID by now...

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I can't find anything. Figured Suunto would come to the rescue

Here is a link to help with the ID

http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Caterpillars

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I tried that one and could not find it. I did not go through the whole data base thought.

Rose, here is another link...don't have time to view all the pics right now, but your caterpillar should be in here somewhere....

http://bugguide.net/node/view/57/bgimage?from=0

Rose, don't think we have forgotten you. Talked to Suunto, and even he is stumped for the moment. Soon as it gets figured out, you'll get an ID for them. Must be something special if they have Suunto puzzled.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Rose you said "'m starting to wonder if they came over with the wolfberry" Did the plant come from somewhere else?? Like outside of the U.S.??? or a nursery in another state??

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Any new pics?? Have they changed any in appearance??

that is an excellent question, Donna. Especially if the plant was purchased from overseas, or brought in from Mexico.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

probably all wrong for your area, but they remind me of something like an azalea caterpillar: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&fkt=2188&fsdt=10873&q=azalea%20caterpillar&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

This is still a challenge...and still being researched....

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

I have no clue, but since I'm planning to order a couple of these plants, I'd like to know what cat it hosts also!

Holbrook, AZ

Thanks for the help so far...still the mystery and now someone has eaten them (or...) and so no more pictures. Moonhowl, I went through bugguides many, many, many...many images before I even posted here. I love that site!

Rose

It can be a bit mesmerizing sometimes...just mean to look at something quickly and the next thing I know it is 45 minutes later...grin

Moon

Holbrook, AZ

This hasn't been solved, but....

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

oh, i wouldn't mark it solved if it isn't. you never know when someone will dig through the unsolved cases and know the answer. it really hasn't been all that long. i've seen some solved after a year or two.

i wish suunto would have looked at this. i guess he doesn't know either.

Suunto did look at them Track, and said they exhibited the characteristics of a couple different ones, but he could not make a positive ID or a probable guess....it is a puzzlement....grin

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

oops, i guess i missed his post...

It was in D-mail.......it didn't disappear....grin

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

ah, i thought i was losing my mind but didn't want to bring it to anyone's attention.....lol

Been there and do so understand...lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.