Trumpet Vines? Bad Idea?

Port Huron, MI(Zone 6a)

I have been reading about trumpet vines in the plant file comments and some of the comments make them seem like the "vine that ate Chicago" or something. It seems like this is a love/hate relationship kind of plant. Has anyone out there grown one here in MI? I see so many that look like they are under control and really beautiful. I already bought one that is one it's way to me called " Indian Summer" that is supposed to be a dwarf ( up to about 9 feet ). This may be the dumbest question ever, but, should I plant it in a washtub or something and bury the container in the ground so that it can't invade my whole yard? Would that even work? I was hoping to plant it where I could train it to grow up a 2x4 kind of post and have a tree like affect somewhere away from the rest of my flower beds, but I don't have enough space to get it too far away. I wasn't going to put it close to the house or any other building. I also read that they get full of ants. Would it be worth growing? I won't plant it if it's going to invade and ruin my yard and flower beds. Can it be trimmed enough to keep it under control? I read that the underground root system can grow a long way out and pop up all over. That's why I wondered about planting it in a container. Would the container have to be like a metal wash tub or would plastic work? This really is a dumb question, but I am truly confused about what might happen. Thanks for any and all help.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

They are VERY invasive

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi,
I love my trumpet vines :) Yes, I think they can spring up here and there! I have had a few transplants grow a few feelers, but thats all. I have the one growing up the utility pole, just keeps on growing higher and higher! I also have another that grows on a rope. When the vines get long, I just use fishing line and wrap them around the rope and they grow just fine :)
Tootsie

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Mine is about 2 feet high and it took it 7 years to grow that high! Never yet bloomed. I think it just depends on your soil and sun.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Peggy, do you cut yours down in the fall??? they will not flower if you do because they bloom on old wood...my neighbor made that mistake and wondered why they never bloomed LOL...

They are invasive....and have runners...if you notice the runners I would get rid of them immediately...before they get a good root system going....

grammie: try planting it in a deep container...I bet it grows....
they are very hardy!

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

I never touch it.

Lachine, MI

Hi All,
Trumpet vines are like roses- feed them bone meal and blood meal- ones for foliage and the other is for roots and flowers-
garden hugs,
Sandy

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

I have Trumpet Vine and usually cut all the branches back to the main stem either in the fall or in early spring and get lots of blooms every year. But I also find new vines coming up in other areas 15 feet away. I'm thinking really strongly about removing it altogether.

Port Huron, MI(Zone 6a)

I planted "Flamenco" and "Indian Summer" together and trained them up a 12ft, 4x4 post that I buried 4 ft underground. The one vine wrapped all the way up the post and is hangin over already. The other is only about two feet high. I planted them away from my other flower beds so that I can mow around it. I'm hoping to get a tree in a few years with both red and apricot colored blooms. I weighed the pros and cons and decided that more hummingbirds would be worth the work of keeping it under control. I can cut it back as needed and I was too tempted by the possibility of those gorgeous blooms to not try. Thanks for the input everyone. One of the nursery owners here in town told me about one he takes care of at one of his clients homes that is trained this way. He said that the vines would dig into the post and would form the trunk. Hope he was right.

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

This is a trumpet vine in Alpena, Mi It is about 30 feet tall. I did not see any evidence of the plant getting away. I had to turn my camera sideways to get the whole picture. Could not figure a way to rotate the photo. It has a lot of seed pods that are not ripe yet. Let me know if you want some.

Garyt

Thumbnail by garyt
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

here ya goooo

Thumbnail by notmartha
Port Huron, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much for the picture. It is great. I went ahead and bought two plants, but thank you anyway for the offer of seeds. I'm glad I planted them because yours look beautiful and I thinks the blooms will be worth having to keep an eye on it Just in case it tries to break away from it's space.

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

Martha
Thanks for straightening my photo :)

Gary

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

who is martha? Im dori NOTmartha!
LOL

your welcome!

Port Hope, MI

I had a trumpet vine once that was so out of control it grew in my car window and actually put the car in gear. Last I heard it sent me a postcard from Daytona.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have several starts of the yellow one if your getting lonesome!!!
anyone that wants some come get it
I have other stuff too-come on over!!!

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

Karen, did your car change it's license to a Florida residence?

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

Dori,
I am finally getting over my cold :) MORE GOODIES!!!! I'LL BE RIGHT OVER, LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.