Little jewels

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We are moving our horses to a new barn but have to do a lot of cleaning up first. Here is what I found under some debris in one of the stalls. There were 4 all together. I think they are what is called a Ring snake and they are not venomous.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Here is another picture of one of them.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Benton County, MO(Zone 5a)

Hi Cajun! Yes, those are Prairie Ring-necked snakes. :-) They are a gentle little snake.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I thought of catching one but wasn't sure about it. How big do they get? Are they good ratters?

Benton County, MO(Zone 5a)

Those are probably adults. lol They don't get big at all. I think they are usually about 10 to 14 inches or so. Not good for ratter at all, but for small bugs, slugs, etc. lol They are the 4th snake down on this page- http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/herpetol/snake/snake1.htm#nv4

I doubt they would bite if you caught one, but even if it did, you probably wouldn't feel it. ;-)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

So, I wonder if I interupted a breeding session?

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I think (may be wrong though) that most snakes breed and lay eggs around memorial day that hatch around labor day. I used to bred corn snake and could set the calendar by Goldie's laying schedule and learned that many snakes use that ssame schedule whichj makes sense as it is the heat of the summer and bugs, etc wwill be searching for food for the babied to reaadily catch them to eat.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.