NEWS FROM VALLEY K LILY RANCH

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

HI ALL
I have been given permission by Lynnette of Valley K Lilies to let you all know how things are going with Cas her daughter.
After the shocking news that Cas was diagnosed with Acute Leukemia in June chemo started the next day. And so began the steep learning curve of anyone who is thrown into a Cancer diagnosis.
Slowly the news spread and the Daves crew got to work. Many have offered their personal support, some have thought it best to support Valley K with orders and some have got together to offer financial assistance.
Here are some excerpts of Lynnette's emails to me:

"I have seen very strong internet sales, which was a blessing considering not even half my regular customers received print catalogs. Some were done already and then this happened, when we returned home after the first few weeks I mailed what was done then revised the catalog and started it to print again and then the printer died. It was a hefty bill to fix it, but it returned home last week and at this point I thought it a waste of money and time to print and send them since our order deadline is the end of the month, and internet sales were keeping me afloat anyway. I have received many orders from new customers with a note about Cas, so I think those must be coming from your forum - I always knew gardeners were a generous bunch but this is truly amazing, and the concern I see too is overwhelming!"

"That is nice feedback to learn people are pleased with our service and what we ship, I am so concerned about destroying that reputation with our situation now, but if it happens there isn't much I can do about it and I have to quit thinking about it."

"I just read and answered an email from ************ in MB, and she told me how much you have collected and I absolutely cannot believe it - it is truly unbelievable that people are so generous! She also suggested gas gift cards, and I think that is a fantastic idea, next to the meds that is the biggest expense for us due to the distance we have to travel. I would think you already have enough to keep us in gas for the rest of this winter, and if all goes well then we go down to treatments once a month I think, starting in February. By my calculations it cost me 50 per tank and it takes almost a full tank each trip"
To be exact this Canadian group has contributed $750.00!!!! Some are bank drafts, cheques,cash and gift cards. Even more with all the internet orders that have been placed from a lot of Daves folks! Lynnette has said that more than that, the gardeners have fed her spirit giving her strength to know that she is not alone and that we care.
Lynnette has also been offered two places to stay in Edmonton should she need it. She is currently camping in her trailer as Cas prefers to think of the trips as a holiday and then she has more privacy than at Ronald McDonald house. She often is not well enough to see other people and didn't want to be in the hustle and bustle of the R McD house.
So as we go forward my family is looking to meeting Cas and Lynnette sometime next week when they return for another round of two weeks of chemo.
I will keep you all posted.
Ann

Thumbnail by annabell52

Ann, you know the gas cards was your suggestion, as I told Lynnette. I do think it an excellent way to help.

As there are still a few weeks for lily orders to go in, I think I will start a thread in the beginner flowers forum tonight to promote growing lilies in our gardens. Hopefully everyone isn't scared off by the lily beetle. I know I am not going to let it stop me from growing my lilies.

One bit of info I picked up from an email or a blog, Cas's Cancer is getting it's butt kicked real good and the treatments she gets from now on will keep it from coming back. (only positive thinking allowed). She is suffering though and can use all the good thoughts and prayers, so please remember her when you are on your knees. Gardeners spend lots of time on their knees, right?

The support for Cas is wonderful, and to the generous DG members, I salute you. ~

ps Anne, do you know which yellow lily that is?

This message was edited Sep 10, 2009 5:47 PM

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037175/#new

Here is the thread about lilies in the Beginner Flowers forum.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Brenda
Hi
The yellow lily is a short,24inch, one that I have in my back yard, I thought it works for the lily and C connection.
Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is great news! Thanks for posting this Ann. I'm so glad everyone jumped in with support during this difficult time.

It's very pretty, Ann. Maybe Lemon Pixie.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi everyone
Had an opportunity to visit with Lynnette and Cas this afternoon after her treatment.
Cas is moving through her treatment well and still enjoying staying in their trailer at a campsite.
Cas is able to continue with schooling at the Stollery through a support school that is there.
With her hair clumping out she decided to get it cut very short so her lovely red hair is currently 1/4 of an inch long and patchy but it shines in the sun and her freckles are glowing.
She enjoyed our dog Cleo and had fun seeing but not touching our two baby hamsters.

Lynnette is very very grateful for the support you all have given her and feels very blessed to be in the company of all you gardeners. I have now given her the gas cards and money orders that had been sent to me.
We had such a good visit that we are going to do it again.

I don't quite know how to pass the good feelings it gave me to be able to personally give her
"the envelope" but I want you to know I told her it was from us all! And, I wish I could send you each a bit of the goodness.

Lynnette and Cas are heading home for the weekend tomorrow and Lynnette is looking forward to getting into her lilies.
Bye for now.
Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thats good news Ann.

When I started chemo, knowing my hair would fall out, I just went to the hairdresser with a couple of hats ( I chose to wear hats instead of a wig) and my camera and she shaved my hair off and we had a little party!

And I am looking forward to getting those lilies - I already have the planting spots staked out!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol
I think my hair (no hair) stories are good too except I only lost the 1/3 that got radiation. So I had a very interesting hair doo. Mostly one very bald spot that my hair sometimes covered and one that got ton's of attention from my daughter when the wind blew! LOL.
Lynnette did say that she was going to start getting the orders out and being back in the garden was good for her.
I think it's good for all of us.
Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

And I discovered I had a small bald spot on the back of my head!

Lynnette's personal blog says to thank everyone again for their generosity and I said I would. She is telling her friends how much she appreciates the kindness, concern & generosity of this group of gardeners. So here it is. Thank you from the bottom of Lynnette's heart.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks for the update. What a great idea regarding the gas cards!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks for the update. Me too looking forward to my lilys.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.