ID please!

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Hi everyone,
this is a very common plant in Mozambique, a lot of people have it. but i have never seen it in South Africa, so i don't know its name. could someone please ID it for me?
thanks!
Isaac

Thumbnail by westraad
Keaau, HI

Hi,
It is a Gomphrena....exactly which one I am unsure.

Andy

Keaau, HI

Looks like Gomphrena globosa, Globe Amaranth.

St. Thomas, Barbados

in barbados we call this bachelor's button. it's been around here a long time, but it's hardly grown any more. i remember as a child we had it in our garden.

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Thanks!
Isaac

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

westraad, that gomphrena looks very much like the cultivar 'Strawberry Fields'. It reseeds well.

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Yes, it does reseed very well. i only had one plant, now i have so many! i am starting to through them away!

noonamah, Australia

We have just over 30 species and subspecies of native Gomphrena, ranging in colours from white to pink and bright red.

Suan Phung, Ratchabu, Thailand(Zone 11)

In Thailand, we call 'baan mai roo roie', which mean=> forever bloom...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

aaahh...I missed those this year! I forgot to plant them. I'm going to have to dig in my seed collection and get them ready for next year.

Xai Xai, Mozambique

You should, Randy, they are great plants!
Isaac

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

They are! I'm so out of room for stuff, probably why I didn't, but I'll scatter some in the front garden, they do pretty good there.

And they are very happy little plants that don't require much in the way of care. Seem to be able to weave themselves through the bed and nod their happy little heads.

Xai Xai, Mozambique

yep! sometimes though they get too jolly, and they start becoming weeds! i have to control them in my garden, or else they would take over everything.
Isaac

I think they are like the proverbial camels....give them an inch and they take a mile....grin

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

I have to get myself some of those "everblooms"! They must be easy from seed if they reseed themselves so well in your gardens. Any tips on germination?

Keaau, HI

Did you say "Strawberry Fields", Jean!

Thumbnail by Metrosideros

Forever Dave...grin

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Jenny, One of the Papaya seeds you sent me is now a producing tree!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

How cool! Is it the "strawberry" or the monster one? Can't remember when I sent them, but it doesn't seem very long ago, I hope it tastes good!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Strawberry!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.