2 in 1 hole?

W of Cleveland, OH(Zone 5a)

I know that I'm going to get yelled at - but, has anyone ever planted 2 clematises in the same hole?

Thanks!

Baton Rouge, LA

Yep, several references mention you can plant up to three smaller size clems in one hole. The British Clematis Society actually doesn't even recommend the 18" x 18" hole that has been stated as requirement on the forum so often lately. Their website suggests "Dig a large hole - at least twice the width of the pot in which the plant is growing and half as deep again." For a starter plant, meeting those guidelines would result in a much smaller hole that 18" x18". Here's a link to the page: http://www.britishclematis.org.uk/Planting.htm . They've been growing clematis there for a lonnnnnng time, so I trust what their committee has posted for planting.

I love you, Evey.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the good idea, dathen, and for the excellent reply, Blissful. It will make the planting so much easier!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I've planted many clematis 6-12 inches apart with no problem...Jeanne

Baton Rouge, LA

Dathen... LOL!!!! Back at'cha!

This was such a relief for me!! I have a bum shoulder and had planted 100 daylilies, which really messed me up. When I went to dig holes for the clems, I couldn't do it, and had decided to wait a couple of days. My husband cannot bear to see plants sitting around in pots and decided he would dig the holes. After he had dug a couple of holes big enough to bury a horse, I decided that it just seemed too much since I was putting most of them by 2s on trellises. We only did it with 2 holes, but so glad that its and ok thing to do.

Our flower garden soil is perfect and I really don't see the point in digging huge holes - there should be no problem with the roots going as deep as they need. On the ones put in front of trees, etc., the clay is pretty close to the surface and I can understand going deeper with good amendments.

An excellent article, Evey. Really GOOD information. Thank you so very much.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

A husband that can't bear to see pots sitting around so he digs the holes??!! Sigh.

Had to read it twice myself, Sue. Dathen is blessed.

I am. Just wish he felt that way about dirty dishes ;)

I am working on the cooking thing, do boring unimaginative dinners so I can get out of it and play in the garden instead. It's starting to work. MY DH doesn't come home to watch sports, he watches the cooking channel and every few days he gets inspired enough to go out get a get a few groceries and make a nice dinner. He even bought himself an expensive German knife set last month. I would rather eat and do the dishes than cook. :-)

I don't mind cooking when the weather is lousy but when it's good gardening weather he knows how to dial the phone for take out. That's fine with me.

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Although I greatly respect any info from the British Clematis Society, their climate is so much different from mine; the coldest zone in Great Britain is 7 and they get much less snow in winter. So I also seek advice from other sources, like ACS and ICS, as well as trusted vendors.

While using smaller holes may work in areas with milder winters and/or great soil, I have nasty clay and rocks and prefer to use larger holes for all perennials, especially in depth, gradually increasing the concentration of clay from the center out and down, so that the roots don't hit a "brick wall" suddenly after cruising thru the lovely amendments I've surrounded them with. Just about all the stuff put in by the builder before we moved in had either heaved out of the ground or just plain died before I took the landscaping upon myself, and it was all obviously planted in holes just big enough to hold the plant at the time.

I guess it would depend on your definition of a "starter plant" as well. The only clems I'm putting directly in the ground this fall are ones that are already grown out in gallons anyway so the holes have to be pretty big. Smaller clems I'm too afraid of losing, maybe I'm too paranoid since this will be my first winter with clems. I'm definitely planting the ones growing together really close to each other though, like in one big hole. I'm no masochist. Of course, now that I have tendinitis in both forearms, I may have to eat my words and hope for the best.

Only saying that everyone needs to take their climate and soil conditions into account before following any advice. Everybody's situation is different; nobody's right or wrong.

Just some food for thought.

And I'm definitely going to steal dathen's husband.

Baton Rouge, LA

grrrlgeek, I'd say you're right on with the "nobody's right or wrong" comment. If you look in 10 books by clematis hybridizers, you will easily find 10 differing opinions on the "best" way to plant or the "best" way to fertilizer or the "best" way to prune. With so many differing climates, soil types, etc., there's no way that any one source is going to have the perfect solution for everybody's individual microclimate and planting location. Personal experience is the best teacher. I learned this very early on with clematis. At the urging of many here, I called a well-respected grower from the northwestern U.S. She told me that alpinas would do fine in my area. I bought one from her, but then it quickly declined once summer hit. It's not that she was trying to mislead me... I'm sure she thought it would do fine. After consulting many more sources, I found that alpinas really can't do well below zone 7 at best, and I'm 8b. That's why it's important to try to find info from sources as close to your microclimate as possible and also rely upon your own intuitive gardening skills as much as possible.

gg:

Only saying that everyone needs to take their climate and soil conditions into account before following any advice. Everybody's situation is different; nobody's right or wrong.

Bliss:

That's why it's important to try to find info from sources as close to your microclimate as possible and also rely upon your own intuitive gardening skills as much as possible.

I think we're all on the same page.

Re husband: You probably could, too. But you'd throw him back after feeding him for a couple of days. LOL

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL, then maybe I'll just borrow him long enough to dig holes. I could lure him with my new power tool, it's a giant paddle-type drill bit for digging holes. It's shiny.

Shiny tools? Now that's just cheating!!!!

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

I planted 2 clems I got from SSV in one large hole. I wanted them to grow together so I put them in side by side. Both have done very well this year despite being cut back and not allowed to flower.

I just also just planted 3 Nelly Moser together that I had been growing out this season. I want them to fill a large space at the end of the Western side garden.

As for what works well:
I knew nothing about clems this spring when I picked up a few packages at walmart and threw them in the ground. When I read about what I should be doing I dug them up and grew them out this season.....all except one that I couldn't find. It bloomed beautifully and all I did was dig a hole big enough to stick it in. One of the gallons I bought and planted with the utmost care has done nothing.

Do I follow the basics recommended? Absolutely. Do I get crazy about the details? Not enough hours in the day.

Remember when you had your first child and you were fanatic about doing everything right and then by the time the last one came along they were eating pizza for dinner as soon as they had teeth? I bet they both came out fine. It seems to be the same crap shoot with clems.

I believe it 100%.

Baton Rouge, LA

Book, sooooo true!!! I can remember many a friend (and myself too) running around the house removing 5000 baby photos of the first child from the walls and shelves when they realized there weren't nearly as many of the 2nd, and close to none of the third, etc. =P

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

We have 5 and it amazes me how different they all are.

The oldest boy has struggled to find his way but is now on a rocket to the moon
The next boy is brilliant but lazy and settles for getting by
The first girl works her butt off and is in a top 10 law school with a full tuition scholarship
The next girl works hard but will never be a scholar
The youngest may end up a soldier of fortune

They were all planted with care, fed and watered dilligently and given the best attention possible. They may bloom at different times but they will all be beautiful and worth the wait. (the jury is still out on the youngest he needs more manure than the rest)

Aurora, IL

Back when I paid no attention to names, I had 4 clems growing on a fence. Two were on one side and two on the other, and there was a gate between them. One of them was dark purple, maybe jackmani. One was a double white -- no idea. Anyway, after a few years of growing back to back thru the wood privacy fence, the white took on a distinct lavender hue. I always assumed that it had been affected by the purple.

So I wonder if we plant them so close, as in one hole, could they change? Cross-pollinate? Or was mine just wierd?

LOL, I just absolutely love that last paragraph bookreader, well said!

Asao blooms for you.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.