Heart's Desire

(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

I have read that it is advantageous to plant clematis in the fall. I have surveyed some of the cultivars that are named (at homeofclematis.net). And I have identified four that I would like to bring into my garden. They are: Voluceau, Rouge Cardinal, Allanah, and Henryi. I don't want ALL of these, but whichever ones I can find now. Can anyone direct me to a fall source of these plants? My planting location is Tennessee, and if any of these four are unsuitable for my climate, I would appreciate a warning.
Thanks-

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

Try Joy Creek Nursery. This is a link to their availability.

http://www.joycreek.com/cl.htm#150-058-1

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Cibarius...welcome to the forum!!..Voluceau is an amazing pruning group 3 clematis and will be a joy in your garden for many years to come..you'll love his vigor and tenaciousness for he will thrill you with his beauty!..He gets pruned back after his flushes two to three times a season in my gardens and with my long growing season rebounds and bloom profusely only getting bigger and better with each passing year...I would suggest you check out Dan at Brushwood
http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/search/results.html?search_in_description=1&zenid=d984c67bf7b56334ebe9306d5ee650c4&keyword=clematis

I have grown Clematis "Henryi" for 5 years in my gardens and do like him BUT he is very slow growing and very stingy with his blooms, so in referencing this you might find him a disappointment...I would suggest for a white you either Chose Clematis "Huldine" ( don't pay attention to the pic on Dan's site as it looks more pale lavendar than is in true life) "Huldine" is a champ as he is very very vigorous and a blooming fool...another I might suggest that is Clematis "John Huxtable" .."John" is slower growing and not as vigorous in the beginning as "Huldine" but will catch up several years later...I do prefer "Huldine" over "John" but have a fondness of "John's" size which is larger than "Huldine"

I can't vouch for the other two..I've read that "Allanah" can have mildew problems but will leave the expertise' to those that actually have them growing in their gardens...I hope you will also check out GardenCrossings for they have a huge variety to choose from...theirs are smaller (5.5inch pots) than the ones offered by Dan but still better rooted than most liner plants...

http://www.gardencrossings.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.main&alphaKey=C&whichName=genus&showIntro=0&hardinessZone=&typeID=&showSoldOut=0&chars=

Also another wonderful vendor is Donahues...who does sell nice liner plants..they may be closed already this season but do check on them in early spring to order for spring planting..and remember to START your hunt in late winter when their sales begin or you'll be saddened to find out they are out quickly of certain varities

http://www.donahuesclematis.com/all.html

I highly recommend starting out with the pruning group 3's but not limiting yourself to those..they are wonderful to get a newbies feet wet as they give sooner satisfaction and are easier to grow..they love to be hard pruned for they produce blooms on the new vines that are produced during the growing season. If you have certain colours that you are wanting please list and I will be most happy to give you suggestions of those that have flourished in my gardens..I truly hope this has been of some help in your quest for which clematis to grow in your gardens and am here to help if needed...hugzzzzz..Jeanne

Here is Clematis "Huldine" so you can see how beautiful he is..especially when grown with climbing roses

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Here is "Huldine" with my climbing rosa "Red Eden"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

And here is "Voluceau" which is one of my most favs of all my clems..ahhh..his subtle change of colour as he ages is intoxicatingly delicious..just thinking of this is making me want to order another one right now...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

And here is John Huxtable. I agree with Jeanne. I like both Huldine (which can be a monster, give him room) and John better that Henryi for the same reasons Jeanne states.

Thumbnail by venu209
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Such beautiful photographs!

(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

Jeanne, Thank you for this very valuable information. I have modified my order to include John Huxtable. I am trying to accomplish late planting in the hope that these plants will become established over the winter. Next year, I will be back with more questions.
Cibarius

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Jeanne, did Voluceau start out red like the one shown on COTW? That color change is amazing.
All your clems are Gorgeous, make my mouth water.

Appleton, WI

Great info and advice, Jeanne.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.