Want to find another one of these

Middleton, WI(Zone 4b)

This summer has been great. I splurged on hiring a Master Gardener to help me with my gardens. My husband said that all his friends are jealous that this pretty, young yoga instructor is weeding, deadheading, splitting, pruning, and killing J beetles. And best of all he doesn't have to do anything but get rid of all of our piles (weeds and whatnot).

So anyway, I want to give her something fun at the end of the summer for all that she's done for me. She really likes one of my favorite garden tools, so I'd like to get one for her. I bought the tool from Smith & Hawkens 5 or 6 years ago.

Does anyone know where I might purchase another of these? (see photo)

Thumbnail by duck_toller
Danville, IN

A good garden center should carry them. I know I've seen them for sale before, too.

Middleton, WI(Zone 4b)

I was at K&A Greenhouse, Bruce Co., Johannsens, Menards, and Home Depot today - no luck. Online I've checked Gardener's Supply, Whiteflower Farms, Bluestem, Jackson Perkins, and Kehlms. I tried searching on DG, but without a name for the tool that didn't go well.

Danville, IN

I think it's a type of Japanese weeding tool. Try Smith & Hawkins.com to see if they still carry it. I have one too, that I think I bought at S&H years ago. The nearest store (Indianapolis) is closing (sob!), and they didn't have any tools left when I was there a week ago. Good luck.

Middleton, WI(Zone 4b)

Found out that Smith & Hawkins was owned by Scott Miracle Grow and that the parent company "pulled the plug" in a down economy in July 2009. According to the article that I googled, there was a huge sale in July 2009 to clean out "the Pottery Barn for gardeners." I'm very upset I missed that sale!

However you challenged me that this might be simpler than I imagined so I've been googling tonight and found cool stores. If you are a tool-nut too, check out. www.theintimategardener.com / www.mastergardening.com / and the best of all www.redpigtools.com

I learned this tool is a Dutch Hand Hoe and now that I've found it at Red Pig, I can actually afford to give this wonderful woman a couple tools along with a thank you check.

Thanks for trying to help me.

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi, thanks for the RedPig info. You might want to also check the Lee Valley site-which features tools for woodworking and gardening. I have lucked out there with hand tools.

I am sad to hear about S and H. I was able to visit their store in NYC-a gardeners' tool paradise.

Going to look at the other sites.:)

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

You are looking for a nejiri gama hoe. Tried to figure out how to post a link to my thread, .......too early without enough coffee yet. It is on the PNW Gardening forum and titled "garden tools and tricks I can't live without."
If you search online you should be able to find some sources. Let me know if you have success.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I can't tell what it is by your picture you posted, but check online at Leevalleytools.com or request their catalog. They seemed to be a little pricey but there are several gardeners on this and Garden web that swear by them. They have a lot of things I haven't seen in stores like Lowes or Home Depot. Sometimes you can find an old hardware that has unusual things. What about an Ace hardware store? Do you have one near you?
Check online..gooble the name of the tool and you'd be surprize how many sources you might find.

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

I have purchased some tools from this store and been happy with them.

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/page.asp?content_id=9966

Bark River, MI

Duck_toller -- I have one of those and it's my favorite gardening tool; I'm glad you were able to locate it to buy! ( I have no idea where I originally got mine, it's been quite a while!)

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

I found a place that I think sells some wonderful garden tools.
I hope it is legal to tell you the site!

http://www.dewitstore.com/index

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Try LeeValleytools.com

Verona, WI(Zone 4b)

I tried the Dewit Tools and they have a wonderful selection, look very durable as well. thanks for sending that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.