Amaryllis in the garden.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Does anyone plant amaryllis in the garden? I am in zone 7b and would like to plant some of mine outside...I have too many to keep inside. Can you tell me by your experience how deep to plant them? I know I have seen them in Georgia gardens...thanks so much for your help.
JanetS

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Janet, I grew them when I lived in Chamblee...The top of the bulb was about 3-4 inches down...Good luck with them...

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you for responding...I have read a few things that said leave the neck exposed a bit and then mulch..I just wasn't sure they would not freeze if I leave them exposed...but I have enough of them to try them outside anyway...with about 80 or more seedlings I have growing...so I have to find out if they will withstand my Winter months or not...can't keep that many in pots and inside..LOL

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

mine i leave with about an inch or two above ground. in augusta area. mine are in a pine straw bed so they are covered during the winter. remove pine straw some away during spring and will do well. dont want them over soggy

lady down the road does this for hers which she has tons and hers look so pretty in bloom. mine are in full sun.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm way South of you but I have a problem with amaryllis not flowering because they were planted to deep. You want their shoulders exposed and then just put some pine straw over them.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks CoreHHI...I was afraid to leave them exposed at all afraid they would freeze if we have freezing temps this Winter...I planted some yesterday and left them exposed to the point where the neck hits the shoulders...I have more to plant today. I just love them though and I have a few of the hardier variety in my gardens here and there, and some of them have never bloomed, wonder if that is why, they are completely under the soil.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I would bet that's why especially with the more hybrid ones.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

will have to RAISE them up a bit and see what happens in the Spring...thanks again.

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, I guess I need to apologize for misinformation...I had a little jaunt down to my old house a few days ago with my son, and asked the current owners if I could examine the Amaryllis, as my small patch is now huge...I doubt they are hybrids but they are the brilliant reds, and the tops are just at 2 inches underground, with many of the off shoot bulbs some deeper....They never mulch them, and they have spread and bloomed like crazy according to the new owners...so I guess it is all in where they are planted and in what soil, as well as hard freezes...and mine never froze, so I dunno...

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

lol, thanks Dusty, I think sometimes plants just grow well no matter what we do...good to know the depth isn't the most important reason for them blooming, or multiplying.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Janet,

I've had some outside for years. Some years they aren't as pretty but they are still there.

I got a white one at a roundup that is so pretty. Also have some others - I love them.

I've got several amaryllis outside, I just planted them in the same manner my neighbor had them when they bloomed like crazy for her. Only the necks out of the ground. Pretty much ignore them and they do fine.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Went and looked just to be sure and I have the shoulders mulched over a little with the neck sticking up. I don't get hard freezes so .......... I would just fool around with how deep you bury them with heavy mulch in the fall, mulching being a good option, clearing it off in the spring when things warm up. I do that with some tropicals I have because I do go under 32 F durning most winters but my soil temp never goes under about 55 F.

Good luck.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for your help, I am doing just that...some are a little deeper than others the smaller ones I actually put a little deeper and the largers ones with the neck up a little above soil level....I will just see what they do next year...beautiful Roses by the way!CHHI

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

My roses just came back to life not long ago. The summer heat does a job on them but they come right back into the fall.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Janet, I'd be surprised, but interested to hear, if they survived the Winter. Winters just don't seem as cold as they used to be. If you've got too many to Winter inside, you've got room to experiment. BTW, you're two zones up from GGG (same as me here in Cleveland). Though GGG lives in Atlanta, like me, and we are both within the city proper, my Atlanta zone is 7A.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2009 6:18 PM

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I know the zone thing is weird isn't it..lol seems like they would be the same since they are so close together...45 miles isn't that far!

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Janet - Just make sure they are very well-drained. They will rot quite easily if not. I have mine in a built-up area, plus, we have sandy soil. Good luck! Samantha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.