An amazing garden

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

If you have never visited Fryar's Topiary Garden in Bishopville, SC you are missing an amazing experience. I don't particularly like severely trimmed plants, it's so unnatural, but this place is not ordinary. It is a visual symphony IMHO. He says there is no plan involved, but ............................3 acres of work that has to be seen to be believed.

Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That is amazing!

X

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I love hearing good things about Pearl Fryer; I knew him when,,,,,,,
Years ago, when he was first noticed for the topiaries in his yard, he didn't even know they were special; he was just doing it for fun. Since then he has become world renowned and his knowledge of the growth habits of different trees and shrubs is astounding. It is nice that he has earned the respect his horticultural artistry deserves.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

how cool! I have a friend from Bishopville. I'm calling her right now to tell her I've read about this...

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

I met him briefly Saturday. What a great example of humble greatness. I was utterly stunned at what I saw as I walked his property. He says he is writing a book. I try to express my feelings about the experience http://simplepleasures--simplethoughts.blogspot.com/

This message was edited Sep 8, 2009 4:49 PM

Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

They did a small, independent movie about him a few years ago.

http://www.amannamedpearl.com/

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

He has also been featured on "making it grow."

Kannapolis, NC

He's been featured on many of the gardening programs and I'm glad to see him earn the respect he's due, after watching his progress for almost ten years now. What a true gardener!

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

my girlfriend from Bishopville said her mother knows his wife.

Johns Island, SC

Like you, gessieviolet, I don't personally care for "shaped plants". Always seemed artificial to me---like man trying to improve on God's design. Couldn't quite get over the hubris. But a visit to Pearl's garden gave me a whole new perspective on it. That man is nothing short of incredible...personally and artistically!

One day I got off Interstate 20 at Bishopville to make a phone call and I pulled into the parking lot of a fast food place. While I was sitting there yapping I noticed 2 crape myrtles had been trained like standards and the branches were prunned and woven like baskets. That had to be Pearl's work too. I always mean to stop there again and I always forget.

Kannapolis, NC

Ardesia: In the TV program, "A Man Called Pearl," it talks about his topiary work at various businesses around Bishopville and one of them, if I remember correctly, was a Hardee's or something similar, so I'm sure it was his work.

Angie

Wow, I have watched that but I tend to fall asleep in front of the TV and often miss a lot. LOL

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

I think his "Official " work is at the Waffle House. According to the movie he bartered the landscape piece for breakfast for him and his wife. Downtown the streets have pieces of his work on Main Street. I saw several other attempts around town, but they just didn't have his artistic touch, even though they were good.

That's it! It was a Waffle House where I saw the crape myrtle baskets. I just thought that was the neatest idea. They were without leaves when I saw them it would be interesting to see what they are like in the summer.

Johns Island, SC

Considering my natural distaste for "Man improving on Nature", I was totally blown away by my visit to his garden! It is truly impressive, regardless of your "natural inclinations". Truly worth seeing. And that man and his wife are truly "People Worth Knowing"! The guy is a true blend of artist/horticulturalist, with an incredible understanding of how plants grow, and "eye appeal". The Real Thing. Knows more about effective pruning than anyone I've ever met. And shares his knowledge openly and freely. If I had a vote, I'd consider him a "National Treasure"!

Conway, SC

We met Pearl at Moore Farms in Lake City a few years ago. For those who have not met him, here is a picture of this great man with a few of our gardeners.

Thumbnail by BSD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.