Heucheras and Walnut trees

Kimmell, IN

I am relatively new at gardening and have spent the last couple of years landscaping around my house. I have left the front of the house for last because of the dreaded black walnut tree in the front yard. I have spent sometime researching which plants can grow under walnut trees. So far I have found "Coral bells" on the list but not Heuchera as a species. I am worried that maybe only the old heirloom "coral bells" will work, but I would like to get some different colors going if possible. Does anyone know which varieties should/will grow under walnut trees? Has anybody had any experience with growing heuchera or other plants under walnut trees?

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I love walnut trees, but I know they can be a problem for some things. Did you see this list?

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page43.html

And this

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/components/8464-30uabwt.pdf

Both list Heucheras . . .

I just did a search on Google on "What plants grow under walnut trees". I think there are more results than what I've posted.

Kathy

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Jenny, I grow 5 or 6 different varieties of Heuchera and Tiarella under my Black Walnut. They all do just fine.

Kimmell, IN

Thank you all for your help. I will check out these links out.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I grow over 50 kinds some make it and some have died
not really sure why-maybe the trees? i may try them again and if they
dont make it then we move on to the next ones

this is last yrs pic-it really has filled in

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

notmartha - do you have an updated pic of your garden posted somewhere? I remember seeing this one from last year and i'd love to see one where it's filled in. I just love your shade garden.

Athens, PA

Dori -

I would also love to see an updated photo too. I put in a shade garden this past year and I am hoping it fills in nicely next year......

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i will try to take one! i havent had the camera out all summer
just been to busy
bad dori

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

Hostas, pachysandra, sweet woodruff, native day lilies, tiger lilies (the spotted ones, not the ditch lilies), honeysuckle and rose of sharon are living in my northern garden under black walnut trees. Trumpet vine is climbing the trees. A few morning glory seeds are starting up as well, star of yelta. They are smaller than the ones away from the walnut trees, but that could be the shade. I can also grow leaf lettuce. I put a patch by a hole in the fence to keep the bunnies busy and away from my other plants.

I haven't tried heuchera there, but will plant one when my heuchera in the other garden need dividing.

Heuchera and hosta look so nice together.

Athens, PA

Lori

Japanese painted ferns are nice mixed in with the heucheras too. I have also found that I like some astilbe and primroses. I don't know if they will grow under the Walnut trees.

Carolyn

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I am trying a fern in back of the hostas. I read that astilbe can grow under black walnut trees. The hosta bed next to the patio has become a "tiger" garden. Big, tropical, leafy plants and orange or black flowers.It is a small bed, but I am so happy to finally have things growing there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.