Suggestions for Magnolia Planting Beds

Prince George, VA(Zone 7a)

We have 2 very old very large magnolia trees. I don't know what species but they are beautiful old trees that provide wonderful shade in the Summer. Our challenges besides the constantly dropping leaves beginning in early Spring throughout the Summer are the characteristics of the flowerbeds. The Inner side of the flower beds have pretty deep shade. The outside of one flower bed on the right gets morning sun and the outside of the left flowerbed gets afternoon sun for brief periods. Any suggestions for for plants that would provide colorful foliage and maybe some flowers? The beds look great in the Spring but the rest of the year its just green.

Thumbnail by fordr4
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Heucheras, Astilbe, Hardy Begonias, Bleeding Hearts to name just a few.

Doug

Janice~ Gulf Coast, MS(Zone 9a)

beautiful trees..

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

camellias and azaleas would allow the big leaves to fall through and are sturdy enough that you can rake around them. There are some shorter kinds. Camellia sasanqua can take the afternoon sun and are easy to keep short if you buy the shorter types and of course there are azaleas that can take the sun too. Camellias are the best choice in deep shade. Lorapetalum might be an option too.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Have you considered hydrangea?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hellebore is another that would do really well there. Hardy enough so you can rake around them.

Prince George, VA(Zone 7a)

thank you for the suggestions...sorry for the delay in reply, I've been too busy to check the website. Doss: I never considered Camillas, I've never grown them. I like the Hellebore idea too. So many plants I've never tried but I'm game!
Dirt: thank you - they are beautfiful

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.