Tree seeds or nuts that will easily take root & cover 2 ac?

Ashland City, TN

I have about 2 acres in the front of my home that my husband and I are letting go “back to nature”. We did have an arena with a horse in it but have given the horse away and have taken down the arena. When we bought the land 4 years ago it was covered THICKLY with sumac trees (with the red tops – not the white tops) and sycamore. We have left several sycamore trees – which have grown surprisingly fast. We have also left a border of sumac around the sides of the land to block the view of the neighbors.

Question: we would like to see TREES on the front 2 acres – not just weeds and wildflowers (though we love the wild flowers). BUT we don’t necessarily want to go out and dig wholes and plant seedlings like they do for Christmas tree nurseries. We would like to put seeds or nuts out and let them root themselves maybe??? Can you start pine trees - like loblolly pine - from the pinecones?We are in our 50s – we’d like to see the trees at least be well established within the next…say 25 years. We are in no hurry for mature trees. Any suggestions for seeds or nuts that will easily take root and grow freely with little involvement? Ya know, like they do in the wild?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Well, the best answer is to observe old pastures/old fields in your area, and see what is happening there. The process (like they do in the wild) is called succession. The first things into an area that has ceased being managed agriculturally will be the pioneer species. You've noted them as "just weeds and wildflowers."

Birds and other animals, as well as wind and water, will carry seeds onto your property without your help. Those often are the pioneer species that the birds have eaten fruit from, and poop the seeds out (like the sumac). Squirrels and other rodents will bury caches of seeds, often including nuts like oak acorns, walnuts, and hickories. The windblown seeds will include maples, catalpa, and ash, among others (including more sycamores).

Enjoy the prospect of seeing these species arrive and take root - it does happen naturally and it is quite fun to observe. You can insert yourself into the process by bringing plant seed that would have more difficulty or no way of arriving under its own power. Some of this seed can simply be broadcast onto the soil surface, and you can wait to see the success rate at this "lowest tech" planting method. Other (bigger) seed might be planted with some soil contact or burial. You could do this one at time, or till some soil to loosen it and then rake the seed in, or a combination of those two and cover with some sort of organic mulch (wood chips, leaves, muck straw, compost, etc.) Sort of like nature, eh?

My wife and I moved onto former "grazed to the nub" cattle pasture twenty years ago. You could've putted a golf ball around the cow patties here; there wasn't much else. Since then, I've observed most of that land rehabilitate (probably 7 acres are not managed closely). The amount of plants in the seedbank (laying on the ground, or in the soil) is tremendous, but not always what you want. You'll be surprised by the diversity, and will still want some species to occur faster. I've collected seed from local trees that I didn't find present on my property, and have employed the combination of techniques mentioned above. I've also purchased some plants (bare root, potted, and B&B) to provide some larger starter plants.

A few larger plants will provide additional perches for birds (which then gives more opportunities for "free air fare" - often overnight delivery. Fruiting species will attract more birds - see the vicious cycle starting? Those dastardly weeds and wildflowers will provide free insect activity (read: pollination) that then produces more seeds efficiently - and provides food for birds and their young. Ah, life.

Observe the natural areas or native plants in your vicinity, and of similar soils and moisture levels. These will be the species that will settle in and grow with the least assistance from you. Resist the temptation to try to do it all at once, unless you just get the hankering to be out there in the dirt. Succumb to the desire to wipe out any invasive noxious species that will inevitably drop in uninvited (Tree of Heaven, Asian honeysuckle, Privet, Multiflora Rose, Paulownia, and zillions of herbaceous/gramineous species).

In middle/west TN, you have a rich plant community. You should have no shortage of choices of plants that will establish and grow.

Ashland City, TN

ok, got it. I will do my homework and see what's around this area...acorns, walnuts and hickory nuts I think I can find easily. I don't mind a little digging here and there if that is what it takes. NOW for the invasive trees you mention...I will do research on those to try to ward them off but please look at this photo and tell me what you think these trees are. They have grown in my flower pots "on their own"...so I need to know if I should encourage their growth or discourage it. Thanks so much. I don't know much about plants in general...just the common ones you plant in dirt and they do the rest. I'm trying to landscape around my koi pond and most of my back "yard" (not the back acreage). Now I find I have to research what I plant BEFORE I plant it - looking into the future to make sure I don't cause more problems than beauty. So I really do appreciate the time you all take to answer my questions.

Thumbnail by scarediecat

The left one looks like an Elm (no surprise, windblown seed). The right hand one might be a Catalpa or Paulownia with those big opposite leaves.

You can post one picture per reply in this thread. That way, you can post higher resolution images that make ID easier than squinting at the little (but well-composed) pictures.

Take some pics closer up, if possible, of stems, leaves, sideview, etc. It doesn't cost any more, and helps you ID quicker.

Ashland City, TN

k, I'll be right back...

Ashland City, TN

Here are 3 photos of the tree to the left...maybe a Elm?

Thumbnail by scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

second photo

Thumbnail by scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

third photo - sorry it's sideways - this is the trunk.

Thumbnail by scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

how's this...

Thumbnail by scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

sorry, the photo of the trunk in the orange planter is of the tree to the right

Ashland City, TN

tree to the right - in the orange pot

Thumbnail by scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

last photo of the right tree in orange pot

Thumbnail by scarediecat

I'm sticking with Elm and Paulownia. See if others think differently, but I'd keep the Ulmus and park it somewhere moist on your acreage.

Compost the Paulownia...

Ashland City, TN

ok, thanks! I will get rid of the Palownia and treasure the Elm. I hear they put off shoots easily...that should take care of some of my desire to fill my front acreage?

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's a link that may help you to choose trees for your acreage.
http://www.utextension.utk.edu/publications/spfiles/SP515.pdf

Ashland City, TN

Thank you for the link. I see the Elm is not a local tree! I'm surprised...but I have found a source for black walnut nuts and acorns - both of which are local trees. Two people have said they will let me come to their home and rake up however many I want. Once I threw a pile of black walnut nuts into a pile and they sprouted - lots of them sprouted - so hopefully they will do the same in the field.

Question - will pecans do the same thing as the black walnut from a nut? And do pine cones eventually sprout pine tree seedlings? I see people selling pine tree seeds on Ebay all the time. Will that work?

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Pecans will grow from the nuts as well. If you can bury the seed slightly, they might escape marauding squirrels.

Ashland City, TN

Can't wait to get started!! Sounds very hopeful...thanks!

Janice~ Gulf Coast, MS(Zone 9a)

scarediecat, would you like some young oak trees? Some of them still have the acorn attached to them they are so young.. :-) For some reason my one tree loves to drop its acorns in this one area and as they bust and start to grow. I pull the little oak tree up and give them to family and friends who don't have any oaks or need more oaks.. I just can't bear to toss them but at the sametime I can't have them growing where mother nature keeps planting them.. lol.. I have never tried to mail the little trees before. More so I just pull them up and wrap them in damp paper towels and then they plant seperate them and plant away.. Usually in a bucket and then in the yard..

Ashland City, TN

I would love to have some. Just let me know how much you want for each of them and how much postage will be. I'm very excited about this idea. Thanks so much.

oh hun.. the little trees would be free.. :-) I'm not sure how to ship them. in a box or a envie? any ideas?

Ashland City, TN

Wal-Mart has some sturdy small boxes. I have received trees in this kind of box before. They just wrapped wet paper towels around them and then put some plastic wrap around that to keep it wet. I will gladly pay for the box you choose and the postage. Please check your inbox for information on how I am to pay you, etc. thanks!!

Smile~~~ I just love the thought of our little trees taking root in TN..

Ashland City, TN

me too ...smiling back

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Check this out. http://www.arborgen.com/forest/2008-09_Catalog.pdf
You can buy seedlings by the 1000 for cheap, many varieties etc. I would just grow a mix of trees to what ever you like. Some nut trees for wild life, some trees for show, some ever greens etc etc.

Ashland City, TN

wow...this is a treasure find! There was a place when I lived in upstate NY - some sort of forestry service - that offered things like this - to encourage the replanting of trees. I haven't been able to find anything like that since then. I know what I'll spend my day doing...Thanks so much!

Danville, IN

Most states have reforestation programs that supply young trees of many varieties at extremely good prices, cheaper than you would ever find commercially. Contact your state's Department of Forestry or, better yet, your local County Extension Agent (usually offices at or near your country fairgrounds, for information. Here in Indiana they mail out info and forms in the fall and deliver the trees in the spring. I've planted hundreds over the years, with great results!

Ashland City, TN

Just got a new computer so I'm back on line again!! Thanks HoosierGreen. I'll look into that especially not that surfing the web is alot easier with the new computer.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/Businesses/SouthernSeedlingSales/ProductsAndPrices

Paper and timber companies have large nurseries might want to look around those sites.

Ashland City, TN

wow...wouldn't have thought of that! thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.