Everyone talks about worms. what about micro-organisms?

Columbia, SC

How do we get more GOOD micro-organisms to grow in the casting/ tea or soil the casting are mixed in? Someone said molasses, but I have found NOTHING on the net. THANKS

Hi Jolj

Lots of good stuff in all the castings. Here's an excerpt from 'Worms Eat My Garbage' by Mary Appelhof.

"A worm casting (also known as a worm cast or vermicast) is a biologically active mass containing thousands of bacteria, enzymes, and remnants of plant materials and animal manures that were not digested by the earthworm. The compositing process continues after a worm casting has been deposited. In fact, the bacterial population of a cast is much greater than the bacterial population of either ingested soil or the earthworm's gut."

She goes on talk about humus being a important component of vermicompost, how it is formed during the breakdown of organic matter.

Great book. She knows her stuff.

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

From what I have read and what I do is use a air pump with the stone on the end in a 5 gallon bucket when making casting tea. It is said it really helps the micro-organisms multiply. If you don't have one, you can buy one at any pet store. They are not expensive.

Columbia, SC

Thanks for your reply.
I have been told that sugar in cast tea helps the EM/AM's

Gentry, AR

jolj if you still interested i do what bocabob does i use a 5 gallon bucket put a air stone in the bottom attached to a cheap air pump "find in petstore" put in 4 gallons of water 2-4 cups of casting 2-3 tablespoons of "unsulphered molasses" and let aerate for 24 hr then if you aren't ready to use put in some more molasses and it will give you another 24hrs the molasses is the food for the micro organisms and if you don't use the tea within 24hr they start to die and make sure you use unsulphered molasses. you might have to get it from a heath food store.
whitebear

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.