ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 161 Labor Day Here Already?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1028821/

Hard to believe that the 'Official Summer' is already gone.
Course being far more in tune w/ Mother Nature we know there are weeks left to go.

So get harvesting and get ready for the upcoming RU/Party.
Lurkers and Newbies......Please make every attempt to be there too.
Putting Faces to Names adds a whole new dimension to the DG experience.
Ask anyone who's attended and they will agree.
This is like a Family Reunion.... w/o the Drama.......
Well OK there WILL be drama but the good kind.....lol!

Ric

This message was edited Sep 6, 2009 11:02 PM

This message was edited Sep 6, 2009 11:03 PM

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

LOL Ric! You forgot the link!! Night!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Nope I was waiting for the evening to get a little older..... lol!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Marcy, are you teasing Ric?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
Not intentionally Bonnie.

I put the thread up early and was going to wait until midnight or so to launch it.
But anyway....

We're Here! ;-)

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Isn't it strange that "legal punishments" info was in a Dr's. office! I had to wonder what else was on the list, LOL. I guess since so many kids threaten parents with calling social services when they've been reprimanded, its good for parents to have some good threat ideas ready, LOL.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh Marcy, Ashley is adorable! I can see you in her face, too.

Jordyn is still cheering after all these years. She can get her temps now, scares this ole Nana to death! She is doing well with her new pump for her insulin. She has gone from "uncontrolled" to "controlled" and that's HUGE! We'll be walking in the Juvenile Diabetes Walk for a Cure on the first weekend in October. If anyone wants to donate to that cause, I can help you out with that!!!! :O)

We got rain!! YAY! Hope you all didn't have big picnic plans for today. We're enjoying a quiet day at home. The storm was lovely early this morning, with lots of lightning and thunder. Just the kind I love.

I took this picture in sunshine, so the water isn't that clear looking, but it is clear now. Ric, you've got lots of good looking fish for little $$! You know how to work it!

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Another....

Thumbnail by joycet
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

A friend shared a recipe idea with me that I tried the other day, and I think some of you may like it. Tomato Pie! Its a savory pie, and I think there's a lot of room for jazzing the recipe up in various ways, but the simple form is quite good. I used a regular pie crust, top and bottom (standard flour, butter, salt, ice water pastry). For the filling I sliced Romas, about 3-4 cups, tossed in a handfull each of fresh, chopped Italian Parsley and Basil, about a cup of shredded cheeses (I used Parmesean and Mozzarella), a couple of heaping tablespoons of flour, and sea salt and black pepper. I baked the assembled pie on 400F for about 45 minutes (with an air bake cookie sheet underneath- helps keep crust from over browning, or you can keep an eye on it and turn the oven down to 350 if browning too quickly).

It has a nice, garden fresh flavor as is, but has the natural acidic tang of the tomatoes. I considered adding a tablespoon of sugar to counter the acidity a bit, Dave thinks I should have, 2 other friends prefer as is. Easily customized to suite your families tastes though.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I tried Tomato Pie when it popped up on the Recipe Forum. The one there didn't have a top crust and I made it according to their directions. The pie wasn't bad the first time, but the leftovers were awful. I may try your recipe and see if it's better!

Neal, that sounds really good, I will have to get one made before the maters are all gone.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Joyce, these leftovers have been pretty good. I only warm it up in the oven, nuking doesn't seem to work so well. Forgot to mention its really good with Béchamel sauce over it. Had a piece this morning with eggs, that was pretty good- I always like eggs and tomatoes together.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Ric, I love all these pictures of the koi you and Robyn swore you'd never have again. LOL I enjoy seeing all the pond pictures from everyone!

I heard very sad news today. One of the two girls who were flower girls in our wedding was killed in a car accident last night. Rebekah was 23. :( Her younger sister and a friend were with her, and they are both in good condition at hospitals. What's even sadder is, Rebekah's dad died earlier this year in what I think was a farming accident. I can't imagine what Ileda and the other kids are going through, losing them both in such a short time.

Kimberly, that is horrid news, especially coming after her father's farming accident. Somehow, I don't think it would possible to recover from such tragedies. However, in 1973, my DH's father was killed in an accident, in June, then in November, his brother was shot and killed. DH had a nervous breakdown, and took forever to get himself back together. I feel so sorry for the survivors, it will be hard for them.

I feel like I have a productive day, although it was doing some things are not readily visible. I cleaned out my file cabinets, 4 drawers, and tossed a bunch of stuff, then, I cleaned another paper storage area. Feels good to have more space to start storing MORE STUFF!!

Tonight I have compiled a "to do" list for the next couple of weeks, and gosh,I have a lot of things on that list. Sure hope I am able to accomplish all of it.

We had rain during the night last night, then some more this morning, and the forcast is for chances of rain all this week. We need the rain here, so I am hoping that we can get some more.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kimberly that's awful!
The surviving Family will need a lot of after care.

We finally have all the water garden and pond plants are divided and re-potted.
As it's so late in the season we decided to just go ahead and get them ready for next year.
Right now they are mostly in containers.
In a few weeks or so we'll be pulling the EE's out of the pond.
Then all we have to do is plop the hardy's in the ponds for the winter.

I picked up a case of weeping heat rash on the inside of my elbows.
Haven't had that in years.
It's been so cool I really hadn't been worried about it.
Since I picked up that horrible case of contact dermatitis on my hands years ago I'm VERY careful usually.
But got nailed Friday I guess.
Other than a doctor visit.... which I can't afford I'll just do it the old fashion way.
Keep it dry as possible..... and cool as possible.

Ric

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello all you Nawtherners....LOL

I try to check in on y'all occasionally, just to be sure all is well with friends...Y'all have been busy to say the least...

Bonnie...I am so sorry to hear of your RA, but at least you now know what it is, rather than not knowing...But it still hurts, nonetheless...You will stay in my heart dear friend...

Kimberley...I am so sorry to hear of that tragedy of your young friend...I am sure her Mother having to bury her and keep watch over the surviving one is going to be very difficult, especially without her spouse...I will send prayers for them...

Marcy you had me scared to death after your fall...Jim did the same thing off our in remodel front porch, but he fell 4 feet to the ground...He is bruised, but no damage to the surgery area thankfully...Drop and roll...
My Grandson CJ, has learned that at school for fire safety already... Cracks me up...

I am still trying to heal from my fall off the back of the moving truck when we were loading it...Wet shoes and wet deck on the tail of it from that torrential rain all day I tried to load my beds, and I stepped back and slipped and fell 4 feet to the ground...
I really ripped up the back of my left leg behind the knee...I didn't realize I had 2 lacerations that needed 3-5 stitches each...I was just so aggravated and exhausted, I just wanted to be gone and be on my way, and blocked the pain...My jeans were plastered to my leg when we got here, and had to be soaked loose in the shower to get them off of me... Falls are definitely no good for Old people..

Ric, your pond is looking terrific...All of my water plants are alive and well, but I put the 8 fish back in the pond before we left...and I am glad I did...Hopefully they are now living with you and Robyn...

We have been gifted the new lumber from the man we are buying the house from, to build 8 foot wide plantation steps when we finish extending the existing porch by about 6 feet from existing lumber on hand...(only 2 more feet to go) and the posts to support the front of the joists to be able to put on the roof over...He also installed new 4 ' cyclone cross fencing yesterday to separate my front and back yards...

We are HOME and happy...and I hope you all are safe and well...
I think of you and send prayers for those who need them...

Be at Peace....

Dusty, good to hear from you, I had been wondering if all was going well, and you were getting settled in. Don't be a stranger, now that you have moved.

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you dear Bons...We are doing very well...Weather has been typical warm but not nasty GA....
We now have 2 Foster dawgs as of yesterday...Courtesy of the man we are buying from....He just evicted a tennant from his other house...The guy deserted the property and his 2 dogs for 2 weeks according to the neighbor over there, so he called me to ask if I could help...One baby will never leave here, and the other is going to my son as soon as he repairs his 15 foot section of fencing from last winters storms...The tiny one is a tiny red/sable Min Pin like our old one that we sent to UKY for surgery on her knees with Min Pin rescue....This ones name was Two-Bit, and we now call her Bitty Bit...She barely weighs 3 pounds...The other is a male Shepherd, also painfully thin, with a wonderful personality, but our Boo hates him, so it will never work...But, Son is gone from home most of the week so he would like him, to watch over the house while he is gone, and protect the wife and Grandson...

It will work out, I'm sure....

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Dusty, good to see you posting. Not sure why I haven't heard from you since the move....?? The koi said to tell you hello. ^_^

Didn't do much yesterday but read a book and pull weeds. Our rain gauge showed 3 1/4 inches of rain. Wow, we needed that so badly! Oh, I did go to a friends house and help her split a hosta. She'd never done it before and so I was glad to help, since I got a piece of it! Came home with a few things from her house...free plants, always good.

My Mom's shingles are drying up nicely. Poor lady. She's had a time of it this year for sure.

Kimberly, such sad news about the girl. Her mother and sister are going to be in bad shape. Wish there was something we could do for them, except pray.

I've been getting farm fresh eggs from my exercise instructor. This time she said not to put the lid all the way down on the eggs. Look what they got from that poor chicken. It was only a double, but she thought it might be a triple. It was the biggest double yolk egg I've ever seen.

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

This puts it into perspective with the quarter..

Thumbnail by joycet

Ouch, for that poor hen!!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Hurts just thinking about it, doesn't it?

Waddy, KY

Mercy! Be away from the computer for 4 days and y'all done runned off and left me! And have been really busy too!

Bonnie, markets are doing so so. We've joined the Lexington market and I'm pretty sure we're going to drop the Shelbyville market. The community just doesn't support that market and when they do they expect wholesale prices. I've decided that if I'm going to work that hard I'd like to be paid reasonably. The last Horse Park market was this weekend so we don't have any Friday markets to prepare for. That gives us some more breathing room.

DH picked up some peach seconds at the Lexington market Saturday so I got them scalded and peeled Sunday afternoon. They were going south fast so I had to do something with them. I've got what's left in the fridge to make into jam here in the next few days. Got two canners of salsa done yesterday and some habanero jelly made too. I'd planned to dig about 5 daylily orders yesterday but it rained pretty hard in the morning and I just didn't want to wade around in the weeds getting wetter by the minute. It's bad enough to dig in the weeds but wet weeds puts a whole nuther slant on the misery. Reckon that's on the order for tonight. If I can dig two orders tonight and and a couple maybe tomorrow I can get them in the mail and be almost done. Then the mower is going in that patch and we're going to raise enough pollen to give half of Shelby County hay fever!

Dusty, good to see you've settled in.

Kimberly, so very, very sad. It's a profound shock when a young bright light is snuffed out.

Sue, when kids got to be too much at that age we sent them with a pitchfork to the barn to clean out the bottle calves stall. By the time they'd finished that they usually didn't have too much sass left.

Joy, wonder if that hen only lays and egg every 2-3 days and has to make up for lost time when she finally get's round to it! LOL!

Everybody, have a good day. Got to get something done here today!

Janet

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning all! I am among the living!!
Kimberley....so very sorry to hear about your friends. How awful that would be...I can only imagine.
Bonnie...what did you mean..was I teasing Ric????? Would I do that????
Thanks Joyce...on Ash's pics. She is a sweetie! and thank you too , Sue!
Yesterday...nothing much happened. You all south of Dayton got the most rain. We only got a 1/2 inch here. And we surely did need more. Maybe today!
What an egg!! That poor poor hen!!
Yesterday..we went back over to Palestine to the garage sales. There weren't nearly as many as there usually are? Got a few things though. Got this iron holder...hmm..hard to describe. The guy said it was used to hold an old hot water tank up off the floor. Anyway...I could just see it would be good for holding a gazing ball! Dave is going to get the rust off it, and spray it black. Then I'll show you a pic...if I remember...lol.!
Got an old bean hamper...like a basket...only tall and deep. Think I will use it for a plant holder next spring. I can stuff the bottom half full of something...and then sit a pot of flowers in it. It will be cute!
Dave got some things...an old hand grinder..well..actually two of them...lol. OHhhhh...and this guy came up to him , and asked him if he was interested in a leaf blower. Seems this guy works for a company and repairs them. Anyway..he got it for 20 bucks...and it's a nice one too! We have never had one. Guess that was about it.
We ate lunch at the church there..and that was good. Then came home. Later went to Bob Evans for a bowl of soup. Stopped at SIL's house..talked a bit..and came home.
I am glad the weekend is over! I was so tired!
Now I have this week cut out for me too! LOL! Going to get a perm today..tomorrow..cat to the vet...Thurs...going to DIL's house to show her how to trim up her dog...and bathe her. They have this little dog named Samantha. She is a mutt. Looks like a cross between a Dauschond..(sp...i know its wrong!) and who knows what else???? Maybe a Pom. She is long haired....and has fur like a Malemute! I am not kidding. It is soooo thick..you have to scissor her down before you can even begin with the clippers! But she is a good little dog. I did her last year when I watched her at our house.
And then..on Friday...of course...grocery/errand day! And who knows...come Saturday!!!
I am worn out just thinking about all of it!
Well...another book typed here.
Ohhhh...and Hi Dusty!!! LOL! Sorry to hear Jim is bruised up! I was lucky! A hard head...and a fat rear to fall on...that really helped!!! LOL!
Glad to see you are settling in ok.
Ok..I'm going!! Hope you all have a wonderful day!!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Just had to pop back in and post a pic of my little GS on his first day of Kindergarten!!
His mom said..he did very well...and so did I!!
This is Dawson!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Dang, that's a huge egg! I bet the rest of that hen's laying days will be a piece of cake compared to that one.

Oh, to be a little kid again, excited about starting kindergarten! I wouldn't want to go through my whole childhood over again, but I always did like getting my school supplies even if the kids were mean.

In addition to her mom, Becky has six surviving siblings. It's a close family and they're very involved with their church. They have a good support system, but still...I can't fathom it.

This message was edited Sep 8, 2009 2:24 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Have they determined a cause yet Kimberley?
That will go a long way in how to deal w/ the situation.

Ric

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

No, no cause has been mentioned yet. The SHP is investigating it. The dad's farming accident was a freak thing - the gas tank on his tractor exploded and he was burned. He didn't have health insurance, so I'm sure there are financial burdens that make everything else even harder to deal with. It sounds like someone's starting an account for donations at one of our local banks.

Good evening folks, I had a very successful day, according to my "to do" list. Had about 20 items on it, and I completed 18 of them. Of course this is mostly stuff that you don't see, but has to be done anyway for the household to keep operating. I did get the daylilies planted, need only to dig about 5 tomorrow, or maybe even later in the week. I am hesitant to mail anything the middle of the week for fear they will be left sitting on a dock or in a truck, and that isn't good for plants.

I do better with a list, then I can actually "see" what has been done.

Talked to DGD just a bit ago, and they have had rain the last couple of days, and said it was really muddy, we got sprinkles only. We need rain, and could use a couple of inches.

Marcy, sounds like you got some good finds at the yard sales. Dawson, looks like he is ready to show up each day and learn/play. Hard to believe that he is school aged.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Bonnie, know what you mean about the list. I do better that way too. Where I can actually cross things off as I go. I was thinking today...I best get busy on this house before winter sets in!
A teacher friend of mine saw Dawson's pic on Facebook...and said she thought he looked scared? Hmmmm...maybe? She was a kindergarten teacher for yrs. I think he looks sleepy still! LOL...they start so early in the morning! Aww...whatever...I'm sure he will adjust. He loves other kids...and plays well with them. I just hope he will listen to the teacher!
Well..got my perm today...and my hair looks much better! I just don't do well with straight hair. Wish I did.
Sooo..tomorrow...it's Mandy's turn!
Oh...and got a bill today that was very unexpected. Came from my family dr's office..for over 100.00! Seems our insurance isn't covering much of anything anymore. But what really ticked me off was this: This bill started way back in April!! And was for the whole spring and summer. They just let it all add up...and then sent the bill! And I had no idea we even owed it..until today! That made me mad. I will be calling them tomorrow!
I think they will get their money the same way they did me....bit by bit.
Well..I better shut my mouth before it gets me in trouble. I am tired and mad...lol.
Time to go to bed. I hope you all have a good night's sleep!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I need a list, too! Tomorrow I'm getting my hair cut, then heading to the stores to pick up the majority of our supplies for camping. I figure I'll get half gallons of milk and freeze them; that way, they can help keep the stuff in the cooler cool as they melt. We drink skim, so it's not like there's gonna be a whole lot of anything to separate, I bet. LOL

I'm bringing some green tomatoes along so we can make fried green tomatoes in the bacon grease. What's your favorite way to do them, cornmeal or flour? Any tips?

I wish we could plan on fishing, but Kentucky charges $30 for a 7-day license for out of state people. That's just crazy, especially when all we'll probably do is catch and release. I'd like to fish and cook it at camp, but not if it;'s going to cost us $60 to enjoy the sport together.

At least the broadband speed wi-fi is free at Prizer Point now. Yay!

We're heading out Saturday morning. We can't WAIT. I've got a lot to get ready -- but I'd better head to bed for now.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

MMmmmm...I use a cornmeal flour mix, but I think cornmeal is essential :-)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

The best fried green tomatoes I ever made was by accident. I had taken some green tomatoes across the mountain to a friend's house, and all he had to bread them was a box of jiffy corn bread mix (plus milk)... and they were very tasty.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I prefer mostly flour with a little cornmeal mixed in.. The more cornmeal the easier they burn.. I dip mine in buttermilk and then the flour mixture that has been seasoned well with salt & pepper....Place slices le layer on a cookie sheet and freeze for 15 minutes..This is just enough that all your coating will stay put as they fry...It's not a have to step, but it sure works for keeping the batter on the mater.

Larkie

Larkie thanks for the tip about sticking the tomatoes in the freezer. I like fried green ones, but seem to have the problem of the coating coming off. May have to try some tonight.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

It works for me..I also do this with any deep fried veggie...Sliced squash, okra, dill pickles, etc....

Larkie

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We got the rain last evening.....and the Lightning and the Thunder.
The T-Storm just stalled over us and swirled around for about 2 hours.
LOTS of close lightning but no damage I've heard of..... yet....lol!
Haven't checked the gauge but the pond overflowed.
Absolutely no wind though.... another odd storm in a Summer of them.
The other day the storm just split in two over our area.
We could see lots of stuff going on to the north and south but just sprinkles here.
Then it regrouped east of us and pounded them.....

Today we are moving fish from the new Pond to the Patio Water Feature.
We want to move all the under 6" goldfish over for fattening up.
THAT is going to be a LLOONNGG process.
Right now we're picking them off at the surface.
3 little guys have been moved so far.

Darius good to hear from you!!

Ric

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

They'll grow way faster than you think they will, Ric. Same with the koi. You can almost see them grow everyday!

Good tip on the Fried Green Mators! Thanks, Larkie!

Off soon to the new Outlet Mall with Bertie and her SIL. Should be fun, and not too crowded in the middle of the day, in the middle of the week!

I'm enjoying my Brugs. I have a yellow and two pinks blooming so far. Anxious to see the colors on the others. Hopefully, when you're all here, they will have some blossoms open.

I should have made a list yesterday....didn't do didly squat! :O)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

That's very helpful info on the maters - thanks!

Good evening, I was busy as a one armed paper hanger today. I did the grocery/errand thing, then just as I came in the door arms full with grocery bags, the phone was ringing and the cabinet guys were on the way. I had ordered a cabinet to match my kitchen cabinets, but customized it to have glass in the doors, so that it is now holding all of my depression glass and occupied Japan pieces. They have been boxed up for 2 years, and now they are on display again. Gosh, they got it installed and the area all cleaned up in about an hour. Very professional, and they were young guys.

I didn't tell you last night, but about 8:30, my "needy friend" showed up on my doorstep. She has left her husband and had no where to go, so I am currently letting her use my spare bedroom, until she can make other arrangements. She has no family in this area, and has a minimum wage job, so she is going to be in a financial bind, until she can save up some money.

Last night I think her DH (probably doesn't stand for dear) called about 10 times. Tonight she turned off her cell phone, and he has called my house number about 3 times. May have to unplug it for the night. I don't think he is the type to be violent, but you never know. Love or money, can make some people do some pretty wierd things. Today, when she got off work, and he was still at work, she went home and brought her dog here with her. So I now have 2 house dogs. Mr. B isn't sure what to make of the little one invading his territory.

Well, enough of the drama that is going on at my house. I am just so happy to have my new cabinet in, and all my pretties already in place.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.