Buddleia 'Strawberry Lemonade'

Salem, MA

Hi! I'm a relatively new DG member, gardening in Boston's North Shore area. I saw the buddleia cultivar 'Strawberry Lemonade' a couple of years ago, and liked it. Unfortunately, now that I've had an old, ugly shrub removed, hacked back the rhododendrons on either side, and gotten rid of the solid mat of slug-eaten hostas, I haven't been able to find 'Strawberry Lemonade' anywhere! Does anyone know of a source for this plant, commercial or otherwise? Or maybe you can recommend a similarly variegated buddleia. I prefer a cream-colored edging rather than a brighter white. And I'm not looking for a "downsized" variety... this is one of the few places in my yard I can have a 6' shrub! (This one does get to 6' ...right?)

Thanks in advance for any leads you might have on this.

(Zone 7a)

There are couple of members who may share some with you. On the left side are members who have or want this pant. Contact one and see if they will.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56099/

Salem, MA

Well, I couldn't find this variety *anywhere*, so I gave up and ordered 'Miss Ruby' last week, to be sent out when the weather warms up in the spring. I'd still love to have a cutting of 'Strawberry Lemonade, tho, if anyone out there has one they could spare some tip prunings from. I've been wondering why this seemingly pretty plant disappeared from the trade... maybe it had a poor growth habit or was susceptible to disease? Anyway, that's where I am with 'Strawberry Lemonade' at the moment.

Danville, IN

The only info I could find about 'Strawberry Lemonade' was a notation by M. Dirr in the latest edition of his huge manual that this cultivar was not vigorous. It's possible it has been dropped "in the trade" because of that and the fact that so many new cultivars seem to be introduced each year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.