Joe Pye Weed & Old Man On The Mountain

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I love Joe Pye weed. The back drop is self seeding Old Man on The Mountain.

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

That is a beautiful picture. The plants compliment each other.

very pretty combination, wow!

Spooner, WI

Gorgeous combination! What is the scientific name for OMOTM? I'm not able to find info on it. Any chance that you'd be interested in sharing some seed if it's hardy in zone 4? I have Joe Pye growing wild all around me! Love it.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Kathy, I've never heard of it and both plants that I found on the web looked nothing like yours. It's very nice. Is it perennial? That's a great combination.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

looks like the old man maybe some kind of euphorbia...could it possibly be what other calls Snow on the Mountain?

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

There was a great deal of discussion last year about this plant. I'll review my files. A lady came to visit my garden and became so excited to see this plant. The last time she saw one was at her Grandmother's mom 50 years ago. I have no idea how I got the first seed but they do self seed and I would love to share them. It really brightens up the Aug/Sept/Oct garden.

Snow on the mountain is short. It's either old man on the mountain - well, let me look. It's very beautiful and will share seeds. I'll post after I find this thread.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Euphorbia marginata

Google this and you'll find lots of different pictures.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Kathy. I see it is listed as an annual. Does yours self seed?

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

yes, it's very easy to self seed. I have mine at the edge of the perennial border so any extra seeds get mowed over if they land in grass. I would love to share, let me know if you would like some.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I got Joe Pye Weed this year and don't really like it. It really looks like a weed to me.

I just got one, mail order, on Friday and if I can get it to look like shihtzumoms I'm going to be very happy. I know mine is the same cultivar cause I saw a picture of it in Plantfiles. How old is your Joe Pye shihtzumom?

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

This is year 2 with Joe and I love it. It is great in the right spot. I think in a dark background it may not 'spark' but mine is at the edge of the flower bed and the snow on the mountain or old man or whatever makes it kick.

Maniac - maybe it's in the wrong place. If not, and you really don't like it - put it on plant trade or for postage and dig it when the stalk dies out.

I think I'll let it grow another year. The one I got is the dwarf variety. It's called Little Joe. He wasn't little. I think I'd like the Chocolate one better. I will try some different plants with it next year.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

echinaceamaniac,
you might like joe pye,Prairie Jewel better...it has variegated foliage. It hasn't bloomed for me yet so I can't say what the flowers look like but I do love the variegated foliage.

Thanks for the info bigred. I'm wondering what the Joe Pye Weed is in the first picture. It doesn't look like mine.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

The flower heads on mine are huge. I love this plant, one of my favorite late summer plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.