Homemade Ricotta Cheese

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

I stumbled across this the other day when I was all ready to make my pan of lasagna. I opened my big container of ricotta cheese and the seal was broken and it was moldy. $6 down the drain so to speak and a pan of lasagna without cheese. In my panic I started searching on the computer because I knew that ricotta was not processed for very long.

I found this recipe and it is a keeper! I've tried it several times now. It works nicely with 2 percent milk. I've always heated it up to 190 degrees and used the 1/4 cup of vinegar. When my milk was really fresh I needed to add just a little bit more vinegar. You'll know when you have enough vinegar because your milk will start to ball up immediately.

I was thinking it would be good to mix in some fresh herbs at the end for a spreadable cheese for crackers. You can make it softer or drier by how much of the water you squeeze out in the end. It's a fun and easy recipe that my daughter loves to help with. A gallon of milk is a whole lot less expensive than a big container of ricotta!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Home-Made-Farmers-Cheese/Detail.aspx

This thread has 66 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!