Cotinus obovatus - American Smoketree

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm looking for a source for this tree that is a minimum 3'. The vendors listed in the Plant Files all have 1 gal pots but I truly need one larger. They are dioceous. I won't be picky but a male would be nice.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1608/

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I'd suggest that you have one of your local retail establishments make contact with Snow Hill Nursery in Shelbyville, KY. This nurseryman has produced quality Cotinus obovatus for a number of years as single stem small trees.

I've purchased American Smoketree from Snow Hill Nursery for Louisville's parks, and I've been quite satisfied with the results. I know that they routinely ship plants to the north and northeast to customers. It probably wouldn't be a problem to include a stray single plant along with a larger order.

Klyn Nurseries of Perry, OH grows this plant but appears to be sold out currently. Here are a few other wholesale nurseries that are supposed to be growing this species in OH:

Herman Losely and Sons
Mentor Heights Nursery
North Branch Nursery
Sunleaf Nursery

I've purchased from Klyn, Losely, and Sunleaf in my past careers. They are all quality growers (and a lot closer by than central KY).

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you, thank you. A thousand times thank you.
North Branch currently doesn't have it. They are usually my primary source.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Good plants deserve good homes. Anything I can do to "foster" that relationship produces wins all 'round.

Good luck in the search.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.