Are Dianthus Spooky Seeds Viable?

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Hello fellow gardeners,
I have 6 Dianthus "Spooky" plants in my garden. I was deadheading a few days ago and tons of tiny seeds spilled out of the dead flowerheads. I am letting them dry right now. I don't know if these flowers are a hybrid or what that means about their seeds. This is my first year gardening so I don't fully understand why some hybrids are sterile. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Brittany

Thumbnail by Goldberry
Spooner, WI

According to the DL plant file (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/85033/), they will "not come true" from seed. So you'll probably get some boring old kind.

That is an amazing plant, however!

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I saved spooky seeds last year and they did great. Only problem they crossed with some other dianthus.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

This is the one I saved seed from

Thumbnail by gardengus
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

This is what all my seedlings looked like.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I discovered by looking at some of my photos they crossed with these

Thumbnail by gardengus
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you gardengus for posting those photos. I don't have any other types of dianthus in my garden, so I know they haven't crossed with anything. I want to plant all of the seeds I collected, but I can't seem to find out when to plant them. I'm thinking about starting them indoors. When/how did you plant yours?

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I use the winter sow method for most of the seeds some of these just came up in the pot where the original plant was planted.
There is a whole forum on winter sow if you are not familiar with that method.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I'll go check that forum out. I'm still pretty new to the site and haven't meandered that way yet. Thank you for the info.
-Brittany

Knoxville, IA(Zone 5a)

This year I started two varieties of dianthus from seed I purchased--one was listed as a perennial and the other as an annual. If I try to save seed, will the annual & perennial varieties cross with each other? I need to go back to the seed catalog & see if either of them was a hybrid, too.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Goldberry. I just had to tell ya, I love that plant!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you sandy! :-)

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Just found this thread and wondered have the Spooky seeds been a success? I just bought some on ebay, have no idea cross-polinated or not but very curious to see what happens.

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

Has anyone found a definitive answer to this? There's nothing more frustrating to grow seeds, wait for a year for blooms, and then find out that you got someting else entirely than what you were expecting! It's happened to me with Dianthus seeds I received in a trade. So, I'm wondering if Spooky seeds ever come "true."

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.