Hydrangea questions...wanting to move one, and prune too?

State of..., MA(Zone 6a)

I have a Hydrangea Madame Emille Mouillere that I want to move. It's in too much shade. We have mostly sunny weather with temps in the 70s/80s right now. I was considering digging it up now and potting it, keeping it watered and in the shade for a couple of weeks before putting it in it's new home. I do really love this shrub and haven't seen it too many places, so I would hate to lose it. Should I wait for either cooler weather or for the shrub to be dormant? Also wondering if I should prune it back hard when I move it?

I also have two Annabelle Hydrangeas that have flopped onto the ground all season. I would like to cut them back to a basic framework and let them start over next year. Can I prune them now? They are really a mess. Also what will get me the best results, as far as sturdy stems next year, pruning hard to the ground, or to a foot high, or ... ??

Thanks... :-)

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I wouldn't leave Mme Mouillere in a pot for a few weeks. A shameful way to treat a lady.
I'd move her directly to her new home, so her roots can acclimate before onset of cold weather.
I think now is a perfect time. I wouldn't prune until spring.

State of..., MA(Zone 6a)

Weerobin....thanks very much. I am itching to get her in her new place, so maybe this weekend I can do it. Potting up a plant that is going into the ground poor treatment? I think of it as a way to control the amount of sunlight it gets directly after transplanting. I can move the pot into full shade long enough for the plant to get over being dug up. But I'll take your word for it, that it is unnecessary. I can rig up something to shade it once I move it to it's new home.

Thanks again....

:-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.