Fragrant summer blooming

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hey all! I am planning next years gardens, trying to fill in empty spots and finish projects.

What do you all recommend for a summer blooming super fragrant plant? I want to be able to smell it from a couple feet away. The area gets morning sun and afternoon shade, very narrow patch next to my front stoop and, of course, for those that know me..has to match the house...burgandy, red, orange, yellow, peach or white.

This is a pic from last year filled with impatiens from a fellow dg'r.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

think it's enough sun to put a couple of lilies there?

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I know that hosta Pirl gave me is just plain green... but it's the only thing in the shady spots that I have that smells nice

South Hamilton, MA

That is probably the Royal Standard hosta.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have one from Pirl too.Its great.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

So do I ....it's in bloom now.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

So if we don't know you, it doesn't have to match??

I like Royal Standard too, but the fragrance is inconsistent and not very long-lasting. I would look into the smaller clethra - you can't go wrong with them. They grow from shade to sun and are care-free.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

lol, Victor. If you don't know me you can suggest any color.

Which clethra is small enough to fit there?

Sixteen Candles (white) stays under three feet. Can also be trimmed more. 'Tom's Compact' is another good one - does not sucker.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

they look nice Victor

North Augusta, ON

My Hosta "guacamole" smell amazing!! Blooms later than other Hostas too. Stick in some nicotiana...wonderful strong, sweet scent in the evening...you'll enjoy them while you're sitting outside and the scent will even drift into any open windows.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am so disappointed in the Nicotiana Perfume Deep Purple... no smell at all... with a name like that

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I never bother w/ nicotenias, they are always eaten just after bloom.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I can say the best one I had so far was perfect mix... the name is correct

North Augusta, ON

I don't bother with the hybrid nicotiana anymore. Mine are the good old fashioned ones...have had them for 20 years.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I have a great rose, but I have to pick it up and inhale directly to smell it, and it only blooms a week or two in Sept. (the way I treat it). It smells like peeling an orange and picking raspberries - wonderful! If I ever find that perfume, I'm buying it.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I was looking thru Bluestone's catalog and noticed that hosta Guacamole also Fragrant Bouquet.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2936/
This one caught my eye too
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/84473/

Hey Allison how is the scent on agastache?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Good (I'm not Allison) the hummers etc. adore them!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Rarefind has this Clethra too.
http://www.rarefindnursery.com/index.cfm/action/productdetail/product_id/3911.htm
I am only 20 mins away from them...they also carry the Tom's Compact.

hmmmm decisions, decisions

I have just about all the things mentioned so far. Clethra is far superior to all - both in ability to scent an entire area, and in how long the fragrant blooms last.

You like order and neatness, Jen. Some chethra are suckering and leggy. Make sure you know what you're getting.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

very nice Jen... rub it when you walk by and the smell releases ... I don't smell it unless it's touched though

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

That's one thing the catalogs fail to mention.

And why we're here! Sixteen Candles is very upright and stiff.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yeah, don't know what I'd do without DG.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nice... any of the other colors good ones Victor?

I have Rosea, which is about seven feet tall. It suckers, but it's fine for me in that area. The smell is fantastic and it's a nice color.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.