situating new clem impulse buys

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I've been buying up end of season clems on sale, and now I'm faced with the difficulty of finding somewhere to put them. My garden's so small. I keep staring at it hoping some new clem growing idea will miraculously occur to me. Our dog spends so much time in frozen animation staring at the trees in hope of seeing a squirrel, I could probably grow a small one up her. It may come to that.

In the meantime, I've got three integrifolias to squeeze in somewhere. And a Betty Corning, which I'm going to try on a fence in probably too much shade.

But my big question right now is this: I've got a Gravetye Beauty and a Pagoda, and two potential spots for them. One, where the GB would look the best, and where it would also get the most sun, growing up a big climbing rose that can sometimes get powdery mildew late in the season, though I've had success controlling it lately. The other spot is on a retaining wall, where there's good sun from mid-May to mid August, but practically none in early spring and late summer. PPE and venosa violacea do just fine there, and I'm hoping Pagoda will work there too. But can anyone tell me which of these two new clems most needs the warmer, sunnier spot?

thank you!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Bump for one of our experts to answer :o)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

thanks Marie! -- left to my own devices, I made the decision by eeny meeny miney moe. I'm sure they'll be okay. That's how I've made most of my major decisions in life.

Baton Rouge, LA

WP, you should be okay. However, it's the texensis and the native clems (and their close offspring, such as i. Rooguchi) that are typically the most prone to powdery mildew. Both of the ones you mentioned are texensis. Evey's rule of thumb: if it looks like a bell, prevention is swell! You may want to use a preventative fungicide in spring for the one you planted by the rose.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.