Does this look like a pecan tree to you?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

This is a seedling that I want to save if it is indeed a pecan. But need your input as I don't want to be nursing a weed or a trash tree by mistake. thanks for your help

Thumbnail by vossner

closeup of foliage

Thumbnail by vossner

back of foliage

Thumbnail by vossner
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Can you add a close-up of the stems?

Resin

hiya resin. I'll take a pic tomorrow morn.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Nery, pecan trees leaves have serrated edges. Those leaf edges are smooth and could be those of Ailanthus altissima, Tree of Heaven, an invasive tree here in Texas. Are there any mature trees in the area? They seed like crazy. This site claims that the crushed leaves of Ailanthus altissima smell a little like "rotting peanut butter."
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/aial.html

bettydee, that is exactly why I was posting. All my mature pecans have the serrated leaves and I was unsure as to what these were. Similar leaf shape but no serration. Also, this is a lot that we don't mow regularly, especially w/the drought, so I have lots of these seedlings. I will look up Tree of Heaven.

But Resin, I took pics of the trunk also. will post soon.

agh! you said stems! I too pics of the trunk. well, i'll post them, then I will take stem pics. It does look like like Tree of Heaven. I haven't crushed leaves yet for the "rotten PB" test, lol.

Thumbnail by vossner

another one

Thumbnail by vossner

last one

Thumbnail by vossner
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Thanks!

Not sure what it is, but not Pecan, nor Ailanthus

Resin

I don't think it's ailanthus either. My noid's leaves, while having the same shape, are not as narrow.

I have a neighbor who has a 2nd lot and I notice she saves those seedlings. her's are about 5-6 tall and the foliage stays a light green. When I say light green, I mean the color of freshly open leaves in the spring. Except that in her trees, the light color is permanent. My seedlings appear to be the same thing she is saving, with the light green foliage. She doesn't know anything about plants so I won't even bother to ask her.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Does it have an even number of leaflets? Could it be Sapindus saponaria var. drummondii?
http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/bio406d/images/pics/sap/sapindus_saponaria.htm

i'll ck it out. thanks V

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.