Heuchera ID needed?

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I've had this single Heuchera plant for many years. It's a monster now. Some of the flower are 3' high. I thought I bought 'Hercules', but after looking at pictures, I see 'Hercules' leaves are variegated and mine are not. I took the picture this morning, so it's a late bloomer. Any suggestions?

This message was edited Sep 4, 2009 8:12 AM

Thumbnail by pastime
Gravois Mills, MO

I have a notion it is Autumn Bride but not sure what you mean by having it years. I am not sure how far back that particular species goes. I had autumn bride at one time but I do not think we do anymore unless I got it misplaced somewhere in a pot.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Pastime, I agree. Yours is most likely Autumn Bride. Here's a photo of one of mine. This was taken in July. Mine blooms usually until November.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I think you're right. It's Autumn Bride. It's been in that spot for 4 or 5 years. It's one of the reasons my patio curves around that bed. I didn't want to disturb anything in there. I did have to move a very happy Clematis integrifolia to another spot. It's never been the same and it's only 10 feet away from its original spot. Bummer.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Maybe that's how it got it's name, since it blooms late? I love the blooms on it, so large and conical. Both of yours are pretty gardens. Stormyla - love your little car planter! How cute!

Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

ok I am just a beginner with these...they can take shade very I see but what about alot of sun?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Medinac. The child that I bought it for never came to get it, so what else was I to do with it? LOL

Trina, Maybe in IL that might be OK, but certainly not in the South. Pastime might know.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

My Autumn Bride is still blooming. It's planted on the east side near the front porch and gets full sun until around 2:00, then the porch roof starts to cast a shadow on it. I never have a problem with the leaves getting fried. It's happy there, but is protected by a Pink Diamond Hydrangea and other plantings around it.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Trina - In general they like mostly shade. Usually some... and I mean some, morning sun they can take but if you add the hot afternoon sun it it, then no. The chartreuse ones don't do well in my experience with barely any sun exposure, they will start to crisp around the edges and get worse with more exposure to sun.

I think most of us agree it's always an experiment. Some dark ones do better with some sun exposure than others. I have 2 Miracle and 2 Pino Gris that are in sun almost all day and never any crispiness on them (these are darker green leaved ones).

Does that make sense?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Also, in general I find that the Villosas will take more less than ideal conditions.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

stormyla - I absolutely agree! I hope they come out with more of them.

Gravois Mills, MO

The new strain of Heuchera developed in France will take a lot more sun than normal. They are the Heuchera Villosa strain and threy are out of this world. They have very large leafs and nice colors. They are the future for many of us. The new ones such as Albama Sunrise, Citronelli, Beaujolais and Southern Comfort are among my favorites. They will put a lot of the hybreds to shame in hte warmer humid areas

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.