Tillandsia cyanea won't flower

Fraser Coast, Australia

Can anybody tell me how to get my Tillandsia cyanea to flower again? I am doing all the correct things but all it wants to do is multiply, and not flower.
Thanks everybody

Thumbnail by Stiff_knees

Hi Stiff_knees we have a couple of special ladies here who will be along to tell you when they look in. Have you looked in the bromiliad thread? probably similar I think. sue or leisa will help I am sure.

Sydney, Australia

Mine flower with neglect Stiff_knees but they are all old. Don't know if age is involved in flowering. I have pots in full sun, full shade and in between. The semi shade ones do the best. (ie touch more on the shadier side).
I don't tend the at all. Coastal area. Hope this helps. Stay tuned anyhow as the experts will advise.
Cheers
Steve

Coffs Harbour, Australia

sorry, I just found this. I believe it does better when left in a clump, and does not always flower every year, as the pups have to mature first. High light is required to get the paddle shaped bit to turn pink. My Till. Lindenii (longer paddle) has been flowering since April, and is almost at an end. I have three flowers this year, none last year, and one the year before.
As Steve said, ignore it! Fertiliser will encourage more green growth, but you could try a pottasium fert around late summer to encourage a flower, or place the whole palnt in a bag with a ripe banana for a couple of days, although it will still take up to 16 weeks to produce a flower.
Good luck,........and patience! he he
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Fraser Coast, Australia

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I guess it is a dose of patience for me that is diagnosed, lol.
Yes Sue I have left it in a clump, it looks healthy so I guess that is one thing in its favour.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.