End of August Flower pics and new bed.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ok folks. You wanted to see my new bed, plus I took some other pics of flowers in my gardens. There will be quite a few pics...and I will try to describe them. Most of my pics aren't the best...sorry. It's the picture taker...lol!
Here we go!!
First of all...here is the new bed...looking from the driveway. That is a BIG hosta you see in the background, that I am getting ready to split.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Next...is the big hosta...don't know it's name...it's been too long ago. It took me about two hours to dig it up! It came from my front garden, and was in too much sun, and getting crowded out.
The reason it took so long to dig, was because it was in a tight spot...and I was trying not to destroy other plants!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Next is a pic of that piece of picket I was talking about. Sorry..I cut off the top in the pic...lol. It's about 5 ft. tall. It just fit the corner between the Arborvitae and the garage.
I moved a large blue pot of coleus and Diamond Frost in front of it.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Another view of the big hosta and garden.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

The garden at the edge of the driveway.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

After hosta was split into 7 pieces...and planted in front of the Arborvitae. Getting dark now...lol.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Another after planting. They will look better next year!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ok..now for some other pics of flowers in my yard.
This pink petunia has a white center. It wasn't listed as a wave...but sure does act like one. It has done wonderful for me this year....and I certainly will buy it again. Got it at Meadowview.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

This shallow blue pot has a Rhoeas in it...with the pink petunia around the edges. I thought it turned out pretty neat.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

These little zinnias have done well in my cement swan.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Another coleus in a pot.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

One of my hydrangeas in the front garden. Was really getting dark now!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

One of my Sweet Autumn Clematis..along the rail to the garage.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Carefree roses still blooming along driveway.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Here again...is that same pink petunia with the white center..in my upstairs window box. Wish I had put them in all the window boxes now!! I will next year!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

And last...my creeping jenny! Does anyone else love this stuff????? It is growing clear up on my cement at the back door!! I just love the color of it.
Ok..hope you all enjoyed some of my flowers. Wish I could show them all.
A neighbor...that I don't know...stopped in tonight on her walk. She wanted to know if I had a greenhouse...and how did I do all this...lol. She said..." You must spend a fortune on flowers every year!". Actually, I don't...because most are perennials.
Hope you liked the show!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ohhh forgot to say...that empty post standing at the front of that garden...gets a birdhouse on it..!

(Zone 5b)

I loved the show, thank you! The garden decorations and accessories are beautiful done, looks like they were meant to go with the flowers you chose for them. It's beautiful! Rhoeas just went on my "want" list LOL

Annie

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Marcy, its wonderful! You really should be a garden designer! I love every pic. So pretty how your hydrangea pics up the colors of the sunset.

Would you mind saving some seeds from that pretty little white Zinnia? Those are excellent for coming true from saved seed!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hmmm..thought I posted...but guess not??? LOL.
Hi Annie..and welcome! If you are able...please join us at our fall roundup at Joyce's house. We would love to have you! We can give you directions! And thank you for the compliments!
Neal dear...I surely will save some seeds for you! Now that said...did you know there are two kinds of those little white zinnias? I'm not sure of the names...but one gets taller..the one in the swan...and has smaller flowers. The other stays short and spreads...bigger flowers. I have them both...and will save seed for you! I love both of them. And they bloom all summer too! And thank YOU for the compliment too!! If only I was younger...and knew then..what I know now...LOL!!!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, I bet the short one is White Profusion, and the taller one....poof...it just left my brain, LOL. Anyhow, I'd love some of both! They both come true from seed- Thanks so much!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

LOL Neal! Our brains sound alike!!
Yes...the shorter is White Profusion....and I still can't tell you what the taller one is???????
Are you coming to the roundup???

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I hope to make it, but rather than make plans only to be disappointed, I'm just waiting till close to time and will see if it works out.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Got my fingers crossed, Neal! Annie, please do come, we'd love to meet you. You might have to take a butterfly bush home with you though. I have 13 volunteers, and that's AFTER I made Ric/Robyn and my DSIL take one!

Marcy, as always, beautiful, beautiful. Would surely love to have a drive North to see your place sometime, too.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Joyce! I have the roundup on the calendar! I just can't think what to bring though????
Please make a suggestion. What is needed???
What color is the butterfly bush?
And I wish you would come north...lol...although things are winding down now...well you know how that goes.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Sure do, Marcy. The butterfly bushes are Black Knight and a lavender one. Ric, what's the name of it again?

Oh gosh, Marcy, everything you make is so good or sounds so good, or looks so good! Not much activity on the food thread yet.

PS....I like cookies.........a LOT! ^_^

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Navaho is the butterfly bush.... we think.

(Zone 5b)

Thank you for the Welcome! I am a few days behind so I must have missed it, what and where is the fall round up? I'd love to meet other enablers LOL

Annie

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Dover eh?
My BIL's from there Annie.

The Fall Party is at Joyce's Compound.
I say compound as Bertie and Joyce and their DH's are throwing it and they have probably 20+ acres between them.
It's about 20 minutes north of Cincy or 20 minutes south of Dayton on ST RT123 off I-75.
Two exits from the Big Butter Jesus (I think Dan Haggerty) and one from the new Outlet Mall.......

Ric

(Zone 5b)

Sounds like great fun!! What day and time?

Annie

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Ric, Touchdown Jesus is the same exit as the New Outlet Mall. Still two exits to ours.

Annie, the date is September 26th, Saturday. Ric has a thread up. I'll go get it and bring it back here. Sure hope you can make it!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1026242/

That should be it!

This message was edited Sep 9, 2009 11:52 AM

(Zone 5b)

AUrgggh! I have a dog show that weekend! I'm seriously going to try to come to one next year! Or, maybe I'll have one here so you all can tell me what to do with my gardens LOL

Annie

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Bummer...what kind of dog do you show?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Marcy, your gardens are gorgeous! I love the new one. You've done really well with hardscape, plants, color, texture, etc, etc. Everything looks beautiful!

I have to chuckle about your creeping jenny. We have three native plants here that take over mowed/unplanted/disturbed areas wherever they can-rush, creeping jenny and some really soft green grass (that likes flooded areas). I don't mind the latter two since they are short and don't have to be mowed or weed whacked. The rush is a different story!

I noticed that my hot pink Knock Out is blooming again too. The kids bought that for me for Mother's Day, just a few months before we moved.

Nice to meet you Annie.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thank you so much Chele!
Ohhhh...I know about Rush! It grows all over around here in the ditches...and fields too!
I do love that creeping jenny though...lol! Except when it goes where I don't want it to go...lol! Great on your Knock Out! My red ones are blooming again too...oh..and my yellow ones!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.