winter care for new "rootings

Medina, OH

Have had great "beginners luck" with rooting slips I have taken this summer. Now what? Do I plant them and mulch them after the first frost? Should they stay in their pots and be mulched? Please help! Thanks!! Susan

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

How big are they? If they're macrophyllas you're near the cold end of their hardiness range and if you just took the cuttings this summer I expect they're still pretty small, so my thought is you're probably best off keeping them indoors or in a greenhouse for the winter and then plant them out in the spring.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Good for you! What type of hydrangea did you get the cuttings from?

Medina, OH

Hi, and thanks for responding. They are indeed, Macrophyllas and are about a foot tall. Have no greenhouse, but could keep them in a semi-sunny window in a garage. For my exhisting Hydrangeas I make cages of chicken wire and fill with chopped, dry leaves in October. So far, so good with that effort. (3 years, at least).

Could also bring them inside for the winter.

Please continue to advise. Thanx. Susan

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Is it too late to take cuttings from Hydrangeas? I think the bush I found is an oak leaf hydrangea. It is growing here in Somerset, KY zone 6b.
Mary

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Years ago a group of us did it at different times but not with Oakleafs. We had varying degrees of success. Why not give it a try?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Susan, you do not necessarily have to put them near the semi-sunny window if that is problematic. The lack of sun may force them to go dormant and that would be just fine. Just remember to check the soil moisture every two weeks or so. But a 1 ft tall hydrangea should be able to handle the outside provided it is a variety that is hardy in your zone. If not sure if it is hardy then plant it on the ground about two weeks after your avge date of last frost. Treat them as a contaner grown hydrangea in the mean time.

Mary, to increase your odds this time of the year, increase the number of cuttings (say, instead of 2 cuttings, take 5 or 10). See the link below for suggestions and pictures: http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/propagation.html

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the information. I think I'll give it a try now and see what happens. I can always go back in the late spring and get more cuttings if necessary.
Mary

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.