Jasmine cuttings

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Does any one know how to get these things to root? I've tried tip cuttings of Maid of Orleans and Confederate jasmine without any success. Should I take older growth, layer, bottom heat??? I've never had anything that refuses to root and it's driving me crazy!!!
Cala

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Cala,

I'm trying to root some confederate jasmine, too. Two of my little cuttings have most of the leaves fallen off and the other two aren't looking so great, either, although the leaves are still intact. It's been 10 days so far. They must demand a lot of water.

As an alternative, Lowe's has some well established plants for $2.49. :)

~Carla

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Cala,

this is the best site i could find to help u on ur dilemma ... http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8702.html http://www.botany.com/jasminum.html http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/1956/jasmine.html

normally, i would take a 3 liter empty plastic bottle. cut it in half. use this like a cloche or a home made green house. fill the lower portion with propagating soil, water thorougly, but not too soggy. place the cutting on the soil. position the upper portion against the lower part w/the top cap intact. place in a cool dark place. occassionally check moisture content. time element involve to root a cutting depends on the type of plant. hope that help. ma vie rose

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Thanks MVRose

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

u're very welcome Cala :). here is another garden forum that discusses propagation in almost full detail.i hope am not setting myself for trouble, after all i just want to help ... http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8702.html

am sure the info will be helpful in propagating plants. ma vie rose

edited to change link that no longer work.

This message was edited Dec 20, 2003 2:47 AM

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Gonna try some of the methods you posted, MVR, in your links. Anyone have any success/failure stories?

I have had luck rooting my Jasmine by using semi-hard wood cuttings from mid July to early Fall.I use a flower pot with a drainage hole & cover the pot with a bottomless milk jug to make a high humidity environment. The rooting mixture I use is one part peat,one part perlite & keep in indirect light.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Christmascactus! I will try this method. Do you think the timing is important (July to mid-fall)?

Morph,that's the way my mama did it,so that is why I do mine that way.I have seem my grandma put some stems in water & they would root like crazy.I never could get my to root in water;but,I think my grandma could have rooted a fence post.You are in a different zone than I am,I don't know if that would make a difference or not.I'm sorry not to be any more help to you.

hiram, GA(Zone 7b)

I"ve had 3 jasmine semi-hardwood cuttings in pots inside gallon ziploc baggies since the 1st. No roots, but new leaves, so we'll have to see. I'm keeping them on my porch, which although unheated is covered in plastic, so keeps off the frost.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks for sharing! I've a plant that is in the process of opening blooms now ~ very beginning & very exciting! I don't know when jasmine normally would bloom. It was a gift so it could have been forced to bloom I suppose for the holidays?

Brundidge, AL(Zone 8b)

I have a jasmine it is yellow just starting to bloom what kind would this be? I wonder if it is the good smelling kind.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh, I hope so, Springsong ~ this one that bloomed for me was just luxury! Especially in the middle of a cold winter!

Valley Village, CA

I feel like Ma Vie, I hope I'm not setting my self up for trouble. I think you would start them like a Hoya, I would use last years vines, which has hardened off, I would also use at least 2 leaf node above the soil, and 2 leafless ones below, I would use pure pumice or perlite in a small rose pot and stuff as many cutting in there as you can. Perhaps six at a time. I would keep them moist watering everythree days, and misting daily, keep them very warm, and perhaps bottom heat as well. Yes, I personally think timing is important.
In the summer it is warmer and the night temperatures don't drop as low, which I think matters. Humidity is extremely important, Big Lots has a mini greenhouse for $20.00 that zips up, I've heard good reports on this little greenhouse.
I'm using a product called Elelanor's VF-11 that has really helped set roots and flower punduncles on my Hoya, those of you who can, get this product, it is not expensive, and I've have seen results. It is the talk of my Hoya forum. We are all trying to help. Crasulady2
Questions welcome. Norma

Brundidge, AL(Zone 8b)

I am going to try this to root some for the Fla swap

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I'll have to look for the Elelanor's VF-11. Thanks, Crasulady2!

I bought two of those green houses last year and they are a great deal!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.