Columbine? TOOOO Much of it.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

How can you get rid of Columbine . Man oh man it likes my front flower bed.
It is every where. I have given it away I have pulled. If it would only grow that well in the other gardens.

Usually they're pretty easy to pull when they're young. Unless you want to pot them up and donate them to a community garden or local garden club plant sale, they can go to the compost pile. You might want to dead-head the original plants before they go to seed. That would greatly reduce/eliminate the seedlings.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh my, now that is one that has a bit of difficulty in my garden! I have to keep planting them....you in my eyes are lucky to have them.. they attract hummers!

Sounds like you need to dead head. That will stop them from coming from seed.

They are more of a tuber root so they are not going to spread unless they are spitting seed elsewhere.

What kind(s) are they? DO you have photos?

The ones I want to multiply don"t, like my deep purple and red, the light purple reseed like mad. Yes i should dead head them, But I guess I am kinda lazy when it comes to that....lol. My fault there.

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

The deer in my community keep them dead (and live) headed and regularly pruned.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Sawfly larvae got all of mine last year and they were a mess. Now they're struggling to grow at all. If those larvae strike again this year, those columbine are outa here.

Here's a pic of some of mine in 2008

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

What a nice neat garden, Karen!!!

Leaf miner gets my columbines but I cut them back to an inch tall and they rebound. I've never had the sawtooth larvae.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

bugs just bug me

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Leaf miners got mine once too... and here I thought I had a new "mosaic" leafed variety! LOL! Silly me!

The deer like mine out in the woods, but not by the house. Columbine can grow anywhere it wants here, I cant get enough of it.

You're not alone! I thought mine had become variegated!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

You and me, we both need to read that book, um whats it called.... Gardening for Dummies or some lame thing eh! LOL!

Well heres my varigated, um, mosiac (leaf minered) aquilegia! Purdy aint it!
And then it had to happen to the best of my best!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just put in small plants this summer, should be a great show next spring.
Black Barlow
Clementine Blue,Red,Purple
Oragami Yellow short and blooms all summer if cut back
Lime Sorbet in a new spot 1/2 price sale at Bluestone.
Here are my Lime Sorbets I planted in another garden in '07

Thumbnail by ge1836
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, those are pretty! When I planted the blue and yellow, it was by seed. Dang miners came the first year! Thats why I thought and silly me that it was a new fangled varigated or mosaic columbine! LOL!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

comes with the territory i guess.

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Those are lovely, blossombuddy. Do you know what their name is?
I get leaf miners every year as the season goes on, but they don't seem to do any permanent damage. The plants come back good as new the following year.

This message was edited Nov 12, 2009 1:43 PM

ge - How much sun do your 'Lime Sorbet' get? They look excellent!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

perreniallyme, I beleive those were McCannas Giants.

I never really worried on the leaf miners since I thought it was part of the plants program, but anyway, never did anythign with them and the plants just keep coming pack year after year as glorious as ever. I have taken seed though and put them elsewhere. So maybe I will get a colony going of leaf miner free plants in the future.

This one here is just the feral common columbine....flowers are much smaller than McCannas, always seems to be clean of miners and any other bug. I just started a colony of these in my woods and the deer have enjoyed them. I jsut hope they did not root them as they were new plants and in sandy soil so I dont know if any will be going next season. Time will tell.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Cindy Lime Sorbet's get about 5 hours of early morning sun.
They are planted on the northeast side of the house

I'm always amazed what some sun can do for shade-lovers.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have also learned that sun lovers can tollerate ssome shade.
I have lilies growing in part shade.
I continued to plant Day Lilies in the same part shade area, last summer.
We will see what blooms next spring.

All of my columbine tend to be much wispier plants in full shade. They do some self-seeding but the results can be quite interesting since they tend to cross-breed. I have a rogue plant growing in my gravel steps (loves it there) that has a really pretty bloom. I think it's a clematiflora-type (no spurs, lots of petals) in a mid to dark rose color. I collected some seed this year but I'm not sure what I'll get when they bloom.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

There are only a few varieties of daylilies that will tolerate shade. If you plant the rest there, the first few years they may bloom, but after that they will fizzle. Even in full sun some will fizzle in the bloom and then its time lift and to divide them. They much prefer the sun though.

I have columbines in sun, or in part. They do pretty good either way except in the very wet.

Columbines grow fairly wild here in wood chip paths. I would imagine they'd also do well under pines that are lifted at least 20'.

I grow hundreds of daylilies in dappled shade and have done so for 18 years. The dark ones hold their colors very well in shade and not that well in sunshine.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

OHHHHH Pirl
Just seeing your Spider I cant wait for next July

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Volunteers are very easy to remove with a circle hoe.

Karen

A neighbor once admired our columbines so I very carefully lifted over 100 babies, all about 3" tall, had them in soil for her and gave them to her only to learn she threw them all out never believing they would grow to 20" tall. She never got another plant from me.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I dont giv plants to certain people anymore.
GF wants OP's so bad she can taste it.
I have dug her 3 bags of dormant roots 3 seperate times and she left them to rot.

Makes you wonder about people, doesn't it?

Boy have I dont that before. Given my sister many plants from my gardens. She wanted some so I gave them to her. I asked her a few months later, did you get those plants planted?, I dont know she say's, I gave them to the boys to plant. I never saw them growing. No more I say too.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Dappled shade is one thing, shade shade is another on the daylilies.. It also will depend what ploidy they are. Been raising them for over 27 years and I will not put them in shade shade. Not in this poor soil here. They will fizzle to no bloom. Not saying the plants wont keep growing, but it aint working in this sand here. They will carry a much better bloom in better soil and at least 8 hours of daylight.

I have some that fizzle in daylight too... but thats the zone, they dont like it here and the ploidy.

Your spider is lovely BTW!

This one here is in dapples shade.. its not happy there. It will bloom, but will not fan out.

The shade of a building is totally different than dappled shade, as we know. My purples do far better in more shade than sun and most are crosses by Munson tetraploids.

Yours is a heavenly color! Love the edges as well.

Our soil is excellent. We dragged home from the landfill 30 tons of mulch before our compost was ready. Now that we have six bins the plants just love the addition of compost each year. We hybridized daylilies until we ran out of space.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

You have soil.. I have Sand.. big difference there.

Thanks , yes, that daylily is very pretty.. its just not happy. Its not her zone. Im am really belessed though in that she blooms at all.

Ther are hundreds of thousands of daylilies anymore. All lovely and breed specific anymore.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I love the columbines. Here's one I found blooming under a hydrangea in September.

Thumbnail by venu209
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The McKennas Giants are wonderful

Aren't surprises like that just grand? The Columbines do have such pretty faces.

Columbine - one of my favorite flowers. Makes up for the ratty foliage in August. I do get very protective of self-sown offspring of A. vulgaris 'Woodside Mix' - those little chartreuse leaves bring out some nurturing instinct.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Aaaah yes, the mysterious columbine!!

Great pic, BB.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks ! Kind of the Rod Serling effect! LOL!

Enter now the Twilight Zone...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I ordered at least 8 last summer. I cant wait foe May when they bloom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.