I have a question please

Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm a newbie at growing these beautiful flowers. I only have about 3-4 different kinds. However every year I have this same problem, leaves start to die off, holes in the leaves, what is this & what can I do to have them look as beautiful as all yours?
KK

Thumbnail by kountrykitten
Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

also like this

Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

and

Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

I would really appreciate any help so I can have added success like all of you, here are the beuts I do have

Birmingham, United Kingdom

Looks like slug damage or some kind of gall; I don't know if they infect morning glories or not

Look here http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2007/2-7/crowngall.html

That photo is a crown gall on a Euonymus stem

Photo by Bob Dodds.

Page References:
Year of Publication:
Issue:
IC-497 (2) -- February 7, 2007

by Christine Engelbrecht, Plant Pathology

Thumbnail by Rareseedman
Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

I have never seen anything like that. I do get the holes in the leaves where those little green beetles fly in a eat the holes and then I get little caterpillars that eat the insides of the flower and leave nothing but poop where the plants anthers and stigma used to be. I prefer to spray with insecticide soap which works great but if things are getting out of hand in areas I get out the big guns organic pyrethrin (sometimes the powder works better). I get mine from the feed store.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

the holes are caused by the fools gold beetle. lives on the bottom of leaves and notorious for eating holes in morning glories.

http://www.biodiversityexplorer.org/beetles/chrysomelidae/cassidinae/aspidomorpha_tecta.htm

Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

I also found these little critters on the leaves this morning, any ideas,I am bound & determined to have beautiful morning glories like all of you..Thanks for all your help

They might be sawfly larvae, do they eat holes in the leaves and how would you describe the activity they display during different parts of the day? I am trying to determine if they are nocturnal

Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

Raressedman I am not sure if they eat the holes in the leaves or not. I just saw them there & decided to take a picture of them. One was moving up & down the stem but the others just laid there. Just trying to figure out how to make my pretty flowers look pretty, they start off looking great then all of a sudden something attacks
KK

Have you got some really close up photos of the critters, what type of movement do they display is it swaying movement

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

I am watching this thread, but I don't have a clue what is happening with your vines! I hope someone is able to help you figure it out! :-)

Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

Rareseedman just the critters on the leaves about..I haven't seen them move they just stay in the same spot unless they move at night. Sure a mystery to me
KK

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.